Dec 10, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 68, Penn State Harrisburg 59
- Records: St. Mary's (3-5, 1-3 CAC), Penn State Harrisburg (1-7, 0-4 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Three Seahawks scored in double digits as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team picked up their first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season. St. Mary's posted a 68-59 win Saturday afternoon over Penn State Harrisburg.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's never trailed in the game, opening up the first quarter with a 16-2 advantage before junior Alexis Nolan (Beltsville, Md./Pallotti) drained a three-pointer to slow down the run. The Seahawks took an 18-5 lead into the second period on a jumper by first-year Christine McKee (Frederick, Md./Urbana).
- The Seahawks led by double digits the entire second half as the team shot 40-percent from the field and 8-of-9 from the free throw line. Sophomore Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) knocked down a layup with 12 seconds left to give St. Mary's a 40-19 halftime advantage
- Chaney paced all players with nine points and seven rebounds while the Seahawks dominated the boards by a 28-12 margin. Penn State Harrisburg committed 11 first-half turnovers which lead to 14 points for the home team.
- The Lions made the most of their trips to the free throw line in the third stanza, hitting on 11-of-14 attempts in cutting the 21-point deficit to 10 with 2:17 left in the third. Junior captain Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg) put St. Mary's up by 13 with a layup to end the quarter.
- Harrisburg started the final quarter with a 13-5 run, including an 11-of-14 effort at the line, to close the gap to five with less than two minutes remaining in regulation. However, the Seahawks responded with a layup from senior Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) and a 4-of-6 showing at the charity stripe by Nowlin to seal the first CAC win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Three players scored in double figures for the Seahawks while St. Mary's posted a 50-41 rebounding margin over the Lions. The home team also garnered 22 points off of 25 Harrisburg miscues.
- Chaney led the way with season-bests of 13 points and three steals plus a team-best nine boards while junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) added 12 points, five caroms, and two steals.
- Nowlin was one rebound away from a double-double with a season-high 11 points and career-best nine boards.
- St. Mary's will be back in action next Saturday, December 17 when the Seahawks travel to Chestertown, Maryland to take on Washington College (3-5) in non-conference action at 1:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball