Dec 05, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 62, Shenandoah 52
- Records: St. Mary's (2-4), Shenandoah (3-4)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team posted a come-from-behind 62-52 non-conference victory over Shenandoah University Monday night. For the second time this season, two Seahawks scored in double digits while two finished with double-figure rebounds for the first time in 2016-17.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's entered the fourth quarter down 52-40 but the Seahawks turned on their defensive pressure to full blast with five steals and five blocks, forcing Shenandoah into 0-of-17 shooting from the field.
- Sophomore guard Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) sparked the team's impressive 22-0 run with four steals while senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) collected four blocks to keep Shenandoah off the scoreboard during the final 10 minutes.
- The Hornets couldn't make up any ground at the charity stripe as St. Mary's played a clean game in the fourth, committing just two fouls and keeping SU from going to the line.
- St. Mary's notched the game's opening basket but the Hornets would claim a 16-6 lead after one period of play as SU shot 33.3-percent from the floor and notched eight points off nine Seahawk turnovers.
- The Seahawks outscored Shenandoah, 16-14, in the second stanza as Haller and junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) each tallied seven points, cutting a 15-point deficit to 30-22 at halftime.
- Haller led all players at intermission with 11 points, six rebounds, and two blocks.
- In the third quarter, a Haller layup closed the gap to six at the 9:49-minute mark but Shenandoah responded with a 22-16 run to close the third.
Inside the Box Score
- Haller recorded her first double-double of the season with a game- and season-best 25 points and career-high 16 rebounds while turning away a season-best six shots. She shot 10-of-17 from the field and 5-of-7 at the free throw line.
- Kline contributed 17 points and season-highs of five rebounds and four assists while sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) hauled in a season-best 14 boards and chipped in four points, three blocks, two steals, and two assists.
- Robey finished with six points and career-bests of seven steals and three assists while adding five caroms.
- Tonight's win marks St. Mary's first win over Shenandoah since 2009, snapping a four-game skid against the Hornets.
- St. Mary's continues its home-stand on Wednesday, December 7 when the Seahawks return to Capital Athletic Conference action and host No. 17 University of Mary Washington (6-0, 2-0 CAC) at the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena. Tip-off is 6:00 p.m. and kicks off the first home conference doubleheader of the season as the men face Mary Washington at 8:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball