Dec 03, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 42, Marymount (Va.) 74
- Records: St. Mary's (1-4, 0-2 CAC), Marymount (5-1, 2-0 CAC)
- Location: Arlington, Va. · Verizon Sports Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team suffered another tough loss Saturday afternoon, falling 74-42 at Marymount (Va.) University in Capital Athletic Conference action. Sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) led the Seahawks this afternoon with a near double-double on 10 points and eight rebounds.
How It Happened
- After committing two turnovers and missing their first two shots, the Seahawks countered with a 7-1 run to cut an eight-point deficit to two on a three-pointer by junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James). St. Mary's would stay on the heels of the Saints before Marymount closed out the first quarter on a 6-0 for a 19-11 lead.
- MU broke the game open in the second stanza as the Saints stretched an eight-point advantage to 19. The home team owned a 19-point lead three times before heading into the locker room with a 42-25 lead.
- In the first half, the Seahawks shot close to 50%, making 46.2% of their shots but struggled early from behind the three-point line (1-of-8). Chaney led St. Mary's in the first half with six points and two rebounds.
- The Seahawks (34.8%) shot slightly better than Marymount (31.4%) in the third and fourth periods but the Saints were able to break and hold onto a 20-point margin through their dominance in the paint.
Inside the Box Score
- Along with her team-bests of 10 points and eight rebounds, Chaney contributed a season-best four blocks for the third time this season and two steals.
- Senior center Nina Haller (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) chipped in eight points, three boards, and two blocks while Kline and junior captain Olivia Nowlin (Glenelg, Md./Glenelg), who was playing in her first game this season, each finished with seven points. Nowlin also added three caroms.
- St. Mary's begins a three-game home-stand on Monday, December 5 when the Seahawks welcome Shenandoah University (3-3) to the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena. Tip-off is 7:00 p.m. Help the Seahawks WHITE-OUT the arena Monday night! First 100 SMCM students (with ID) get a Seahawk Nation T-shirt!
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball