Nov 19, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. –
- Score: St. Mary's 43, Messiah 74
- Records: St. Mary's (1-2), Messiah (3-0)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team falls in the championship game of the 2016 Dan Greene Memorial Invitational, dropping a 74-43 decision to Messiah College Saturday afternoon. Sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team after recording double-digit rebounds in both games.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's had the Falcons against the ropes in the first quarter as the Seahawks opened up with a 4-0 lead and then erased a one-point deficit with a 16-6 run to close out the first 10 minutes. Junior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) notched nine points on 4-of-4 shooting to pace St. Mary's.
- Messiah would counter in the second by holding the Seahawks to just 3-of-12 shooting from the field while connecting on 11-of-19 field goals to outscore the host, 25-8, and claim a 38-30 halftime advantage.
- Kline was the only player to reach double digits at halftime as she picked up 12 after going 1-of-2 from the floor in the second period to add three points to her first-quarter performance.
- Forwards Alecia Rohrer (Manheim, Pa./Hempfield) and Gillian Glackin (New Providence, Pa./Solanco) gave the Falcons 10 points in the paint while receiving eight points off of four St. Mary's miscues to stretch their lead to as many as 19 in the third stanza.
- The Seahawks faced offensive challenges in the final quarter, missing all 13 field goals and tallying their lone point at the free throw line.
Inside the Box Score
- For the second straight game, Kline was St. Mary's scoring leader as she finished with 13 behind a pair of triples.
- Chaney hauled in a game-best 11 rebounds, including eight defensive boards, to bring her tournament total up to 24. She also contributed six points.
- St. Mary's will open up Capital Athletic Conference play after the Thanksgiving break on Wednesday, November 30 at Salisbury University. Tip-off is 5:30 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball