Nov 18, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. –
- Score: St. Mary's 66, Delaware Valley 63
- Records: St. Mary's (1-1), Delaware Valley (0-2)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Junior guard Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) dropped a season-best 21 points in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team to their first victory of the season Friday evening. St. Mary's posted a 66-63 victory over the Delaware Valley University Aggies in the opening round of the 2016 Dan Greene Memorial Invitational. With the win, the Seahawks advance to Saturday's championship game.
How It Happened
- Kline notched 10 of the Seahawks' first 13 points for an opening 13-7 advantage. Delaware Valley countered to close the gap to 17-14 on a layup by first-year guard Ashley Smink (Philadelphia, Pa./Archbishop Ryan) but St. Mary's headed into the second quarter with a five-point lead as first-year forward Ashley Downs (Columbia, Md./Franklin) knocked down a jumper.
- Delaware Valley outscored the Seahawks, 8-4, to start the second and claim its first lead of the game, 25-23, as sophomore Danielle Skedzielewski (Philadelpia, Pa./Archbishop Ryan) tallied five in the run. St. Mary's responded with a 13-0 run to close out the half and stake an 11-point halftime advantage.
- Kline led all players with her 10 first-quarter points as she drilled a pair of triples in helping the Seahawks shot 35.3-percent from downtown to DVU's 9.1-percent.
- In the third, St. Mary's established a 15-point advantage on two free throws from sophomore guard Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) and the Seahawks would lead by no less than seven points until the final 40 seconds when Smink went 4-of-4 at the line to cut the deficit to 51-45 after three periods.
- The Aggies made a push in the fourth as Delaware Valley pulled within three thrice in a span of three-and-a-half minutes before Skedzielewski's layup made it a two-point game with eight ticks on the clock but St. Mary's would hold on for the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Kline went 6-of-20 for the game, including 4-of-11 from downtown, and 5-of-6 from the free throw line. She added four rebounds and three assists as well.
- Sophomore forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) grabbed a season-best 13 rebounds while contributing eight points, four blocks, and two steals.
- First-year guard Janey Mathisen (Scituate, Mass./Notre Dame Academy) came off the bench to chip in 10 points on 3-of-5 shooting.
- St. Mary's will face Messiah College in the championship game on Saturday, November 19 at 3:00 p.m. Messiah was a 74-44 winner over Dickinson College in today's other tournament game.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMwbball, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwbball