For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's sailing team secured a berth in the 2017 Atlantic Coast Women's Championships following their seventh-place finish at this past weekend's MAISA Fall Women's Dinghy Championships hosted by SUNY Maritime College. The Seahawks also claimed second at the Central Fall Open hosted by Washington College.
Central Fall Open (Washington College) – 2nd of 16
- The breeze was light and variable from the SW all day long Saturday on the Chester River. The wind was alternating between 0-4 knots.
- Sailing commenced at 11:30 a.m. at peak breeze but only two races in Division A and one race in Division B were completed by the time the wind died at 2:45 p.m.
- Very little changed for racing on Sunday. After many attempts to get a race started, a southerly filled in at 1:30 p.m. and two races were sailed in Division B and one completed in Division A.
- George Washington University captured the regatta with a two-point edge over the Seahawks.
- First-years Lewis Cooper (Southampton, Bermuda/Tabor Academy [Mass.]) and Sophia Taczak (Annapolis, Md./Severn School) finished second in Division A, three points behind GWU.
- In Division B, sophomore Joshua Paper (West Friendship, Md./Glenelg) and first-year Allison Gingerich (Arnold, Md./Broadneck Senior) also took second as they finished one point behind the U.S. Naval Academy.
MAISA Women's Fall Dinghy Championships (SUNY Maritime College) – 7th of 16
- There was not much of a breeze on Saturday when sailors arrived on the East River. At around 4:00 p.m., the southerly wind filled in at 10 knots and 2A races and 3B races were sailed before sunset.
- Light and variable winds dominated the morning hours on Sunday. The breeze filled at around 10-12 knots and race 4A began around 1:45. The first attempt at 4A was abandoned due to a moving mark. At 2:00pm, time only allowed for one A and B race before the 3:00pm cutoff time.
- The Top-7 teams qualified for the Atlantic Coast Championships on November 11-12 at Connecticut College.
- St. Mary's edged the University of Pennsylvania by two points to claim the seventh spot and qualify for ACC's.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 28-29 – War Memorial at Hobart and William Smith Colleges – MAISA Championships
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smc_sailing
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMC_Sailing
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks