For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Washington D.C. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team played their second match of the weekend Sunday afternoon and came away with another win, defeating The Catholic University of America, 8-1.
St. Mary's 8, Catholic 1
How It Happened
- Sophomores Ethan Garren (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) and Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) teamed up at No. 1 doubles and defeated the Cardinals' Rob Alexander and Jan Lasota, 8-1, at No. 1 doubles for a 1-0 Seahawk lead.
- St. Mary's stretched its lead to 2-0 following a win at No. 3 doubles as senior captain James Loftis (Annapolis, Md./Saint Andrews [Del.]) and sophomore Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) won 8-1 in dominating fashion.
- Catholic cut the lead in half with a hard-fought 9-7 triumph in the remaining doubles match.
- The Seahawks swept singles action, including No. 1 and No. 3 singles which both needed a tiebreaker.
- In his first singles match of the season, Garren notched a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Alexander at No. 2 singles.
- So far this season, senior captain Connor McKissick (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) has only dropped two games as McKissick earned a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles over Matt Pham.
- Gorel battled at No. 1 singles, posting a 6-1, 7-6 (4) victory over Lasota.
- Stith also faced a tough match at No. 3 singles and tallied a 6-4, 7-6 (3) win over Frankie Fortunati.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 29 – Oct. 1 at ITA Southeast Regional Championships – Fredericksburg, Va. – University of Mary Washington
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks