For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team opened up their season Saturday afternoon with a 5-4 victory against the visiting Cardinals of The Catholic University of America.
St. Mary's (Md.) 5, Catholic 4
- First-years Ethan Garren (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) and Jonathan Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) teamed up to top the Cardinals' team of junior Rob Alexander (San Diego, Calif./Cathedral Catholic) and sophomore Ted Tiu (Metuchen, N.J./Metuchen) with a score of 8-3 at No. 2 doubles.
- St. Mary's would continue the wins in doubles when junior captain James Loftis (Annapolis, Md./Saint Andrews [Del.]) and first-year Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Henry E. Lackey) topped first-years Kyle Weber (Saddle River, N.J./Northern Highlands) and Jack Emerick (Greensboro, N.C./Northern Guilford) in dominating fashion, 8-1, giving the Seahawks a 2-1 lead.
- St. Mary's would drop its top two matchups but would turn things around when senior captain Robert Bishop (Hollywood, Md./Great Mills) beat Alexander, 6-2, 6-3 at third singles.
- The wins would continue to come when Stith and junior captain Connor McKissick (Leonardtown, Md./ Leonardtown) would win their individual matchups.
- Stith would top Catholic's Tiu, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles while McKissick's 6-2, 6-4 victory over the Cardinals' Weber at No. 5 singles sealed the season-opening triumph for the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
9/18 @ Hood College – 1:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Match)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks