St. Marys Falls at Bridgewater
Bridgewater, Va. - Junior Kenny Nugent (Pocomoke, Md./Pocomoke) picked up the Seahawks' lone point in an 8-1 non-conference loss to Bridgewater (Va.) College as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team dropped to 11-5 on the season.
Nugent tallied a 6-2, 6-4 victory over freshman Matt Chaulklin (Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee) at No. 6 singles. He has now won nine of his last 10 matches for a 13-3 mark, riding a seven-match win streak.
St. Mary's returns to action Wednesday, April 8 with a Capital Athletic Conference match in Fredericksburg, Virginia against No. 16 University of Mary Washington.
Tennis Match Results
4/3/2009 at St. Mary's City, Md. (Somerset Tennis Complex)
St. Mary's (Md.) 6, Southern Va. 3
1. Stefan Vlassek (SVU) def. Jeremy Butanis (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Andrew MacLaughlin (SMC) def. Kody Chacon (SVU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Thomas Hoesman (SMC) def. Hunter Horsley (SVU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kenny Nugent (SMC) def. Devin Keaton (SVU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Jeff Levy (SMC) def. Thad Davis (SVU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Robbie Bourdon (SMC) def. Brandon Flood (SVU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Stefan Vlassek/Kody Chacon (SVU) def. Jeremy Butanis/Andrew MacLaughlin (SMC) 8-6
2. Hunter Horsley/Devin Keaton (SVU) def. Jeff Levy/Kenny Nugent (SMC) 8-6
3. Robbie Bourdon/Thomas Hoesman (SMC) def. Thad Davis/Brandon Flood (SVU) 8-6
St. Mary's (Md.) 10-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (6, 1, 5, 3, 4, 2)