St. Marys Rolls to Second Straight Win
Norfolk, Va. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team picked up their second consecutive victory with a 6-3 win over Virginia Wesleyan College Sunday morning in non-conference action.
The Seahawks (2-1) posted a 2-1 advantage after doubles play as senior captains Jeremy Butanis (Fallston, Md./Fallston) and Andrew MacLaughlin (Cambridge, Md./Cambridge-S. Dorchester) captured No. 1 with an 8-4 triumph over senior Lee Cebula (Elkton, Md./North East) and freshman Bryan Mejorada (Virginia Beach, Va./Landstown). SMCM took No. 3 doubles by default.
Sophomore Jeff Levy (Rockville, Md./Wootton) remained undefeated on the season as Levy improved to 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Sal Sareniti at No. 5 singles.
Butanis and junior Kenny Nugent (Pocomoke, Md./Pocomoke) have now won two straight as Butanis defeated Cebula in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 singles, while Nugent handled freshman Luke Blum (Manassas, Va./Osburn Park) 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4.
The Seahawks return to action on October 3 when St. Mary's hosts Harford Community College in non-conference action at 2:00.
Tennis Match Results
9/21/2008 at Norfolk, Va. (Penzold Courts)
1. Jeremy Butanis (SMC) def. Lee Cebula (VWC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Bryan Mejorada (VWC) def. Andrew MacLaughlin (SMC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Devin Crosby (VWC) def. Sam Barton (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kenny Nugent (SMC) def. Luke Blum (VWC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jeff Levy (SMC) def. Sal Sareniti (VWC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Robbie Bourdon (SMC) def. No player (VWC), by default
1. Jeremy Butanis/Andrew MacLaughlin (SMC) def. Lee Cebula/Bryan Mejorada (VWC) 8-4
2. Luke Blum/Devin Crosby (VWC) def. Kenny Nugent/Sam Barton (SMC) 8-3
3. Thomas Hoesman/Drew Barnes (SMC) def. No player/No player (VWC), by default
St. Mary's (Md.) 2-1
Va. Wesleyan 0-2