PSU-Berks Halts St. Marys Win Streak at Three
Reading, Pa. - The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team had their three-match win streak snapped by a 7-2 road loss at the hands of Penn State Berks Saturday afternoon in non-conference action.
Freshmen Thomas Hoesman (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) and Robbie Bourdon (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) picked up the Seahawks' (3-2) only win in doubles action with an 8-4 triumph over junior Tim Zaborowski (Allentown, Pa./Salisbury) and sophomore Andrew Miller (Blandon, Pa./Fleetwood) at No. 3 doubles.
Hoesman has now won his first three matches as a Seahawk as he notched a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Brendan Penn at No. 3 singles.
Junior Kenny Nugent (Pocomoke, Md./Pocomoke) saw his win streak halted at three as Nugent dropped a 6-1, 6-3 decision to sophomore Billy Campbell (Reading, Pa./Governor Mifflin) at No. 4 singles.
St. Mary's will now hang up its rackets until March 6, 2009 when the Seahawks kick off the spring portion of the 2008-09 campaign with a home match versus the University of the District of Columbia at 2:00.
Tennis Match Results
10/11/2008 at Reading, Pa.
1. Patrick Bhanubandh (PSUB) def. Andrew MacLaughlin (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Andrei Bacato (PSUB) def. Sam Barton (SMC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Thomas Hoesman (SMC) def. Brendan Penn (PSUB) 6-2, 6-1
4. Billy Campbell (PSUB) def. Kenny Nugent (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Tim Zaborowski (PSUB) def. Robbie Bourdon (SMC) 3-6, 6-3, 9-7
6. Kuzo (PSUB) def. Brett Hermans (SMC) 2-6, 6-4, 7-3
1. Pat Bhanubandh/Brendan Penn (PSUB) def. Andrew MacLaughlin/Brett Hermans (SMC) 8-2
2. Andrei Bacato/Billy Campbell (PSUB) def. Sam Barton/Kenny Nugent (SMC) 8-5
3. Robbie Bourdon/Thomas Hoesman (SMC) def. Andrew Miller/Tim Zaborowski (PSUB) 8-4
St. Mary's (Md.) 3-2
Penn St.-Berks 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5)