For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Frostburg, Md. – For the second time this season, the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team needed to win the last relay of the meet in order to pick up the victory. St. Mary's (2-2, 1-1 CAC) notched an exciting 128-126 triumph over the Bobcats of Frostburg State University (2-3, 0-3 CAC) for its first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season Saturday afternoon.
St. Mary's 128, Frostburg State 126
How It Happened
- The Seahawks headed into the 200 freestyle relay down 117-120 but St. Mary's took care of business as first-year Lucas Wheal (Austin, Texas/Westlake), senior captain Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall), sophomore Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Roosevelt), and senior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) pulled out a 1:39.71 for the win, besting Frostburg State by nearly four seconds.
- Wheal paced St. Mary's with three wins on the day as he also notched a pair of individual victories in the 100 freestyle (55.68) and in the 100 butterfly (1:02.63).
- Donoghue claimed a first-place finish in the 200 freestyle in 2:03.75 while taking second in the 100 butterfly in 1:04.45.
- Junior Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) claimed a first-place finish in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:02.25. Orban also swam a 2:21.18 in the 200 backstroke for first place. In addition, he swam a 9:44.44 in the 800 freestyle for second overall.
- Junior Andrew March (Westminster, Md./Westminster) took first in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:15.98. March continued his strong day with a first-place finish in the 200 breaststroke by swimming a 2:50.13.
- In his first meet of the season, Cassady started with a first-place finish in the 50 freestyle with a 24.87 followed by Rhoads in second in 25.57. Cassady also placed third in the 100 freestyle in 56.74.
- Junior Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), March, Wheal and Rhoads all started the meet off with a second-place finish in the 200 medley relay by swimming a 1:56.82.
- Junior Jacob Rosenzweig-Stein (Hyattsville, Md./Burke) claimed second in the 100 breaststroke by swimming a 1:17.63. Rosenzweig-Stein also came in second in the 200 breaststroke (2:52.27) and third in the 100 individual medley (1:09.87).
- Akhavan took second in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:28.28. He captured another second-place finish in the 100 individual medley by swimming a 1:05.84 plus a fourth-place finish in the 400 freestyle (4:58.69).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 16 vs. Washington College (1-4) – MPOBARC Aquatics Center – 5:00 p.m.
- Nov. 17 vs. McDaniel (0-2) – MPOBARC Aquatics Center – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Twitter: @smcseahawks | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks