For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashland, Va. – First-year Lucas Wheal (Austin, Texas/Westlake) tallied three wins on the night to lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team in their second dual meet of the season on Friday. The Seahawks (1-1) dropped a 109-76 decision to the Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets (1-1).
St. Mary's 76, Randolph-Macon 109
How It Happened
- Wheal's first win came in the 200 freestyle as he posted a winning time of 1:51.46 before notching a victory in the 100 freestyle in 49.62.
- Wheal then anchored the winning 400 freestyle relay with the help of sophomore Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Roosevelt), junior Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill), and senior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) as the quartet notched a time of 3:21.65.
- Rhoads tallied an individual win in the 50 freestyle as he clocked a 23.09 while Orban won the 100 backstroke in 55.63.
- The foursome of Orban, junior Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), Donoghue, and Rhoads claimed a second-place finish in the 400 medley relay in 3:51.82.
- Akhavan paced the Seahawks in the 200 individual medley with a second-place finish in 2:12.54 while Donoghue took second in the 100 butterfly in 56.28.
- Junior Matthew Wilson (Bel Air, Md./Calvert Hall) earned a second-place finish in the 500 freestyle in 5:44.63 while junior Andrew March (Westminster, Md./Westminster) garnered a second-place finish in the 100 breaststroke in 1:08.34.
- Wilson placed third in the 1,000 freestyle in 11:56.79 while Akhavan went third in the 100 fly in 57.25.
- March tallied a fourth-place finish in the 200 IM (2:17.50) as well as a fifth-place finish in the 100 backstroke (1:05.01).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 3 vs. York (Pa.) (2-2, 1-0 CAC) – Aquatics Center at MPOBARC (CAC meet) – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Twitter: @smcseahawks | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks