For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Junior Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) and sophomore Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Roosevelt) each picked up three wins as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team opened up their 2018-19 season Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's (1-0) won the last relay of the meet to claim a 96-94 season-opening win over Marymount (Va.) University (0-1).
St. Mary's 96, Marymount 94
How It Happened
- Marymount entered the final event of the day, the 200 freestyle relay, with an 88-85 advantage in the meet.
- Donoghue, first-year Lucas Wheal (Austin, Texas/Westlake), senior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill), and junior Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) came together to capture the 200 free relay in 1:31.21, besting the Saints by almost six seconds.
- The Seahawks started the meet with a win in the 200 medley relay behind the efforts of Orban, Akhavan, Donoghue, and Wheal. They posted a winning time of 1:41.09.
- In the 1,000 freestyle, junior Matthew Wilson (Bel Air, Md./Calvert Hall) finished first in 11:50.54. Wilson also placed first in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:42.08.
- Orban claimed a first-place finish in the 200 freestyle by swimming a 1:54.62. He continued his strong day with another first-place finish in the 100 backstroke with a 54.58.
- Donoghue also contributed in the win by swimming a 54.45 in the 100 butterfly for top honors.
- Rhoads took second in the 50 freestyle in 22.76 while Wheal was second in the 100 freestyle in 49.16.
- Junior Andrew March (Westminster, Md./Westminster) earned a pair of third-place finishes in the 200 individual medley (2:13.89) and the 100 breaststroke (1:06.93).
- Akhavan finished third in the 100 fly in 57.01 while junior Jake Rosenzweig-Stein (Hyattsville, Md./Burke) notched third in the 200 free in 2:00.37.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 2 at Randolph-Macon (0-1) – Ashland, Va. – 5:00 p.m.
- Nov. 3 vs. York (Pa.) (2-2, 1-0 CAC) – Aquatics Center at MPOBARC (CAC meet) – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Twitter: @smcseahawks | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks