For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Chesterfield, Va. – First-year Andrew Scott (California, Md./Leonardtown) broke the eight-year mark in the 500 freestyle Friday night as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team began competition at the Yellow Jacket Invitational. The Invitational is being put on by Randolph-Macon College at the Greater Richmond Aquatic Center and features a nine-team field.
St. Mary's – 8th of 9 with 132 points
How It Happened
- Scott had his most impressive performance as a Seahawk yet as he not only took first overall in the 500 freestyle but also set a school record in doing so. He finished first ahead of 33 swimmers with a time of 4:41.25, surpassing the old mark of 4:42.77 set by Michael Preston '09 on February 13, 2009.
- Sophomore Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) grabbed a Top 20 finish in the 500 freestyle, coming in 18th with a time of 5:05.37.
- The 200 freestyle relay of junior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill), Scott, first-year Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) and junior Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) finished ninth out of 16 with a time of 1:30.52.
- St. Mary's posted an 11th-place finish in the last event of the day – the 400 medley relay – behind the efforts of Orban, senior captain Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep), sophomore Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), and Cassady who tallied a time of 3:40.57.
- Cassady led the Seahawks in the 50 freestyle, swimming a 22.28 which was good enough for 18th out of 61 swimmers.
- Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) swam in the 200 individual medley and came away with a 19th-place finish in 2:06.44.
- Division I Howard University currently leads the nine-team field followed by Washington College in second and Division II Catawba College in third.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 2 at Yellow Jacket Invitational hosted by Randolph-Macon College – Chesterfield, Va. – Greater Richmond Aquatic Center
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks