For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team came from behind in the final two events of the meet Friday evening to notch a non-conference win over the Yellow Jackets of Randolph-Macon College. St. Mary's (1-1) picked up a 106-99 win over R-MC (0-3) in its home-opener for its first win of the season.
St. Mary's 106, Randolph-Macon 99
How It Happened
- With two events left on the day, the Seahawks found themselves trailing Randolph-Macon, 86-83.
- Senior captain Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) and sophomore Jacob Rosenzweig-Stein (Hyattsville, Md./Edmund Burke) both came up big in the 100 backstroke as Broder took first in 1:02.53 and Rosenzweig-Stein posted a third-place finish (1:07.12), giving St. Mary's 12 points and a two-point lead heading into the final relay.
- The last event – the 200 freestyle relay – supplied plenty of suspense and drama as the relay team of first-year Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt), junior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill), sophomore Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), and junior Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) captured the relay with a time of 1:31.16, besting R-MC by 35-hundredths of a second (1:31.51) and completing the comeback win.
- St. Mary's tallied six event wins in its first win of the season and had six Seahawks gain two gold medals each.
- The 200 yard medley relay team of sophomore Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill), Broder, Akhavan and Rhoads came in first with a time of 1:41:39.
- First-year Andrew Scott (California, Md./Leonardtown) won the 1,000 freestyle with a time of 10:10.10, which was almost 27 seconds faster than the second-place finisher. Scott also claimed top honors in the 500 freestyle in 4:57.63 while adding a second-place finish in the 200 individual medley (2:05.58).
- Cassady won the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.22 while missing a first-place finish in the 50 freestyle by five-hundredths of a second, taking second in 22.41.
- Donoghue paced the Seahawks in the 200 freestyle with second in 1:55.69 while Akhavan took second in the 100 butterfly in 56.37.
- Orban added a second-place finish in the 100 backstroke in 56.15 while coming in third to Donoghue in the 200 freestyle (2:00.70).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 4 at York College of Pennsylvania (2-1, 1-0 CAC) with Ursinus College (1-0) – York, Pa. – 1:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks