For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Arlington, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team kicked off their 2017-18 campaign with a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet at Marymount (Va.) University Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (0-1, 0-1 CAC) came out on the short end of a 115-88 loss to Marymount (1-0, 1-0 CAC).
St. Mary's 88, Marymount 115
How It Happened
- Although the final outcome was not what St. Mary's was aiming for, there were several bright spots on the day.
- First-year Andrew Scott (California, Md./Leonardtown) had an impressive start to his collegiate career. Scott won not only one but two races on the day as he took home first in both the 200 freestyle (1:49.50) and the 500 freestyle (4:57.27).
- Sophomore Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) also claimed a first-place finish, winning the 100 backstroke in 55.26.
- Senior captain Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) captured the 100 breaststroke in 1:02.78. Broder also landed a second-place finish in the 200 individual medley in 2:07.83.
- The Seahawks showed promise in several events with one of them being the 200 medley relay. Orban, Broder, sophomore Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) and junior Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) finished just a second off of Marymount's winning time to take second.
- Cassady nabbed a pair of second-place finishes in the 50 freestyle (23.04) as well as the 100 freestyle (50.95).
- Akhavan also came close to taking the top spot in the 100 butterfly (56.50), coming in second behind Marymount's Ian Griffith by 18-hundredths of a second.
- The 200 freestyle relay of first-year Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Roosevelt), Scott, first-year Benjamin Cornwell (Cambridge, Md./Cambridge South-Dorchester), and Akhavan came in second in 1:34.89.
- Sophomore Jacob Rosenzweig-Stein (Hyattsville, Md./Edmund Burke) paced the Seahawks in the 1000 freestyle with a third-place finish in 12:12.24.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 3 vs. Randolph-Macon College (0-2) – MPOBARC Aquatics Center – 5:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks