For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team (3-4) would dominate in double-dual meet action against McDaniel College (1-4) and Ferrum College (1-6), beating both teams to end the fall portion of their dual meet schedule on a two-meet win streak.
St. Mary's – 104, McDaniel – 99
St. Mary's – 157, Ferrum – 28
How It Happened
- St. Mary's captured five events, including senior captain Matt Walchuck (Middletown, Md./Middletown) claiming two individual gold medals.
- Walchuck picked up his first gold medal of the day in the 200 freestyle, winning the event in 1:46.38, before leading a 1-2 punch in the 100 freestyle as he took first in 48.41 and sophomore ColinCassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) followed in second in 50.55.
- Cassady would earn a gold medal in the 50 freestyle, finishing in 22.40, while sophomore Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winter Mills) would take the bronze a second later to give the Seahawks 12 points in the event.
- Senior captain Andrew Braun (Bowie, Md./DeMatha Catholic) would pace his competitors in the 400 freestyle, taking top honors in 4:04.06, while junior Lucas Delgado (Bowie, Md./Gonzaga [D.C.]) placed third in 4:20.67.
- In the final event of the day – the 400 freestyle relay, the Seahawks would take first and second to edge McDaniel for the meet win. The foursome of Cassady, Braun, senior captain Andrew Braker (Olney, Md./Sherwood), and Walchuck took first with a time of 3:19.32 while first-years Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), Andrew March (Westminster, Md./Westminster), Jacob Rosenzweig-Stein (Hyattsville, Md./Edmund Burke), and Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) followed for second in 3:38.69.
- Seahawks opened up the meet strong with a second-place finish in the 400 medley relay in 3:45.07 as Orban, junior Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Good Counsel), Akhavan, and Rhoads swam the relay.
- In addition to his gold medal, Braun contributed an individual silver medal in the 800 freestyle with a time of 8:34.68.
- Delgado finished second in the 150 butterfly with a time of 1:30.24 while Orban would also collect a silver medal in the 150 backstroke in 1:27.69 followed by Braker who took third in 1:32.35.
- Broder paced St. Mary's in the 150 breaststroke (1:38.62) and the 200 individual medley (2:09.85) events with second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will travel to Chesterfield, Va. to compete in the Yellow Jacket Invitational hosted by Randolph-Macon College on Dec. 2-3.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMswim, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming