|Previous College:||UMUC '94|
Herb Gainey is back on the sidelines for the Seahawks for the first time since 2010. However, this time, Gainey is serving as an assistant coach.
The Mechanicsville, Md. native was at the helm of the St. Mary's men's soccer program for nine seasons. Gainey left the program as the winningest coach in school history with 76 career victories. Every season, Gainey's troops arguably played one of the toughest schedules in the nation, advancing to the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) semifinals four times.
The veteran leader, who was also an assistant athletic director, coached 18 Seahawks to 23 first or second team All-CAC selections, along with the 2002 CAC Player of the Year (current Seahawks head coach Alun Oliver '04) and the 2007 CAC Rookie of the Year (current Seahawks assistant coach Kevin Seeger '11).
Gainey, who retired from youth soccer in 2009, has over 30 years of experience developing soccer players at various levels, including youth, high school, and select club. He was recognized as both the 2006 US Youth Soccer Association Girls Coach of the Year and the Maryland State Youth Soccer Association Donald Minnegan Girls Coach of the Year after claiming back-to-back national championships in 2005 (U-18 Girls) and 2006 (U-16 Girls). The titles were the first national titles won by any Maryland ODP team. Gainey also won two bronze medals with the '92 girls team and coached former women's U.S. national team players.
AT ST. MARY'S
- 76-79-13 (.491) in nine seasons
- 2002 CAC Coach of the Year
- Set school record for most wins in a season with 15 in 2002
- Won nine straight in 2002
- Ranked nationally in Top 25 for the first-time ever in 2003 (No. 24)
- US Soccer D License (National)
- National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) National and Advanced National Diplomas
- Studied Dutch, Czech, Brazilian and English coaching styles
- Taught state-level courses as a US Soccer trainer
- A.A. in business programming from Charles County Community College
- B.S. in information technology management from University of Maryland-University College (1994)
- Lives in Mechanicsville with wife, Ruth Ann
- Proud parents of four sons, Brad, Chris, Andy, and David
- President/CEO of Disk Enterprise Solutions, Inc. since 2017