For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Salisbury, Md. – Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) returned the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team to the win column with his second-half goal Wednesday afternoon. Balogun's goal propelled St. Mary's (9-2-2, 2-1-0 CAC) to a 1-0 victory over regionally-ranked Salisbury University (8-2-2, 1-1-1 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference action.
St. Mary's 1, Salisbury 0
How It Happened
- The two sides were nearly equal statistically speaking as St. Mary's edged the Sea Gulls, 14-10, in shots but Salisbury notched a 6-4 margin in corner kicks.
- Only two of the Seahawks' six shots in the first half were on target and Trevor Brookhart turned them away to preserve the scoreless draw at the break.
- Balogun put one past Brookhart early in the second half as he finished off a pass from sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Roosevelt).
- Balogun's goal proved to be the difference as junior goalkeeper Patrick Paolini (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) recorded all three of his saves in the final 45 minutes to hand the Sea Gulls their first conference loss of the year.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (1 goal); Panton (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Trevor Brookhart (4 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- His 11th goal of the season puts Balogun alone at the top in the CAC for the most goals thus far while Panton's seventh assist has him in a tie for first for the most assists.
- Today marks the third straight victory for St. Mary's over the Sea Gulls.
- However, Salisbury maintains the advantage in the series with a 29-9-3 record.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 13 at Frostburg State (4-8-1, 1-2-0 CAC) – Frostburg, Md. (CAC match) – 7:00 p.m.
- Frostburg State owns the lead in the series history with a 13-5-1 record. Last fall, the Seahawks posted a 3-1 win in Frostburg to snap a two-game skid against the Bobcats.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks