For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Swarthmore, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team suffered their first loss of the season Wednesday afternoon, halting their unbeaten streak at six. St. Mary's (4-1-2), who landed sixth in this week's South Atlantic region rankings, dropped a 3-1 decision to Swarthmore College (4-3-0) on the road.
St. Mary's 1, Swarthmore 3
How It Happened
- Swarthmore drew first blood as Yuheng Wang scored his third of the season at 20:33 after taking a strong shot from the left side.
- The Seahawk defense kept the hosts off the scoreboard for the rest of the first half.
- Junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) tallied the equalizer just over two minutes into the second period as McRobie tapped in a cross from sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) on the run.
- The Seahawks edged Randolph-Macon, 14-13, in shots while posting a 3-0 margin in corner kicks.
- The Garnet netted two in a four-minute span for a two-goal lead at 78:06.
- Woojin Shin converted a penalty kick at 74:04 to break the 1-1 draw before Zach Viscusi finished a through ball from Cameron Ricciardi.
- Swarthmore finished the game with a 14-7 shot advantage as well as a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: McRobie (1 goal); Panton (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (3 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: Viscusi (1 goal, 1 assist); Wang (1 goal); Shin (1 goal); Ricciardi (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Ian Withy-Berry (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Garnet improves to 10-4 in the series with St. Mary's.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 22 vs. DeSales (4-2-1) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
- This will be the first-ever meeting between St. Mary's and DeSales.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks