For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) had a hand in three of the five goals scored by the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team on a humid, muggy Wednesday afternoon. The Seahawks earned their second straight shutout, and fourth overall, with a 5-0 non-conference win over Randolph-Macon College.
St. Mary's 5, Randolph-Macon 0
How It Happened
- Balogun paced St. Mary's with two goals and an assist while sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) contributed his first points as a Seahawk with two helpers.
- The Seahawks edged Randolph-Macon, 14-13, in shots while posting a 3-0 margin in corner kicks.
- Junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) put St. Mary's on the scoreboard in the 24th minute when McRobie headed in Balogun's chip over the goalkeeper at the post.
- Balogun notched of his own at 36:48 as he ripped one into the left top corner from about 30 yards out to send the Seahawks into halftime with a 2-0 advantage.
- The hosts picked up right where they left off as Panton sent in a free kick from about 20 yards 50 seconds into the second half and junior midfielder Anoi Hindle (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) finished with a header for his first goal of the season.
- A minute later, Balogun and Panton connected for St. Mary's fourth score as Panton laid a long cross across the front of the goal and Balogun put away his conference- and team-leading sixth goal of the season at the far post.
- Junior midfielder Brad Moore (Crofton, Md./South River) wrapped up the scoring at 64:52, shooting one in and bouncing it off the post for his second of the season.
- In three starts, junior Cristian Reyes (Gaithersburg, Md./Gaithersburg) has recorded a 2-0-1 mark and two shutouts with a 0.60 GAA.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (2 goals, 1 assist); Panton (3 assists); McRobie (1 goal); Hindle (1 goal); Moore (1 goal); Charlie Skinner (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Reyes (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Brian Breslin (2 saves, 4 goals allowed, 49:44); Luke Messick (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 40:16)
- St. Mary's is currently riding a six-game unbeaten streak following today's victory.
- The Seahawks now lead the series with Randolph-Macon, 7-3, following their fourth shutout of the Yellow Jackets.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 15 at Stevenson (2-3) – Owings Mills, Md. – 3:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's dominates the series with the Mustangs, 12-2-1, but the two teams have not played each other since 2011.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks