For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team finished as the runners-up at the 10th Annual Seahawk Classic Sunday afternoon. St. Mary's (3-0-2) posted a 2-0 record for the weekend following a 2-0 shutout of Bridgewater (Va.) University (3-2-0) and extended its unbeaten streak to five.
Salisbury University (4-1-0) picked up a 3-1 win over Virginia Wesleyan University (0-5-0) for a 2-0 mark at the Seahawk Classic as well. The Sea Gulls claimed the tournament title for the fifth time after earning the third tiebreaker on goals against with SU only giving up one while the Seahawks allowed two. Kyle Munson garnered tournament MVP honors.
St. Mary's 2, Bridgewater 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks scored a goal in each half for their third straight win.
- St. Mary's outshot the Eagles, 8-3, and notched a 5-2 margin in corner kicks in the first half. The Seahawks pushed Quentin Boric to make three saves in the first 45 minutes, denying a pair of shots by junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) in the 14th and 17th minutes before junior midfielder Brad Moore (Crofton, Md./South River) broke through at 27:32.
- Junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) assisted on Moore's goal when McRobie passed the ball back up top from the end line to Moore.
- First-year defender Jacob Breslauer (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) tried to sneak one past Boric in the waning seconds of the first half but Boric easily turned it away for a 1-0 halftime score.
- Bridgewater picked up its intensity in the second period, edging the Seahawks, 11-9, in shots but St. Mary's doubled up BC, 6-3, in corners. Junior goalkeeper Patrick Paolini (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) was up to the challenge as Paolini came up with eight stops to finish with a career-high nine saves for his third career shutout.
- McRobie added the insurance marker in the 66th minute as Boric came at McRobie to cut down the angle but was tripped up and McRobie dribbled in to score the empty-netter.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Moore (1 goal); McRobie (1 goal, 1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Paolini (9 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Boric (8 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's has now won four straight over the Eagles and improves to 7-3-2 in the series.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 12 vs. Randolph-Macon (3-1) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's leads the series, 6-3. The last three meetings finished with the same score of 3-2. The Seahawks claimed one-goal wins in 2015 and 2016 before Randolph-Macon erased a 2-1 setback and came away with the 3-2 triumph last fall.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER |Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks