For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Arlington, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team remains undefeated in Capital Athletic Conference action following Saturday's 3-0 shutout of Marymount (Va.) University at Long Bridge Park. Three Seahawks found the back of the net while junior captain Juwan Kearson (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's School) dished two assists in leading St. Mary's to its fifth straight victory.
St. Mary's 3, Marymount 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks claimed a 1-0 halftime lead behind senior forward Emmanuel Oppong's (Tema, Ghana/Blake [Md.]) fourth goal of the season in the 21st minute as Oppong headed in fellow classmate Sunny Chhatani's (Lima, Peru/Indian Creek [Md.]) free kick from the left.
- St. Mary's outshot the Saints, 14-2, and earned four corner kicks in the first half but six saves by John Valcicak held the Seahawks to one first-half goal.
- Senior forward Luke Barber (Washington, D.C./Walt Whitman) knocked down his second goal of the season at 55:43 with a quick turn shot after receiving a pass from the right from Kearson in the middle of the box.
- Kearson then assisted on senior forward Adam Kratz's (Owings, Md./Northern) second tally of the season at 68:35 to seal the Seahawks' win.
- Senior captain Zack Haussler (Woodbine, Md./Glenelg) needed just one save to secure his fifth shutout of the season.
For the Seahawks (8-4-0, 4-0-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Oppong (1 goal); Barber (1 goal); Kratz (1 goal); Kearson (2 assists); Chhatani (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Haussler (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's fired off 28 shots (14 on goal) and collected four corner kicks in each half.
For Marymount (3-10-0, 1-3-0 CAC)
- Scorer: None
- Goalkeeper: Valcicak (11 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Saints finished with seven shots (one on goal) and one corner.
- The Seahawks improve to 25-10-1 against Marymount, including a 4-1 mark in the last five games.
Up next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 11 vs. Christopher Newport University (8-2, 3-0 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC match – 3:30 p.m.
- CNU owns a 16-4-2 mark over the Seahawks. Last season, St. Mary's and CNU played to a 2-2 draw.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks