For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Salisbury, Md. – Sophomore midfielder Brad Moore's (Crofton, Md./South River) goal in the 21st proved to be the difference as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team posted a 1-0 road win over Salisbury University Wednesday afternoon.
In the process, senior goalkeeper Zack Haussler (Woodbine, Md./Glenelg) became the school's all-time leader in shutouts with 17 career clean sheets. Haussler breaks the tie with Rick Besore '08, who recorded 16 shutouts between 2004 and 2007.
Haussler is already the program's all-time leader in wins as he picked up that record with his third win of the season – a 3-0 win over Swarthmore College on September 17 – 29th overall. He surpassed Micah Spiegel '02 who registered a 28-23-0 record between 1998 and 2001. Haussler currently holds a 32-18-4 career record.
St. Mary's 1, Salisbury 0
How It Happened
- St. Mary's edged the Sea Gulls, 14-12, in shots and 4-2 in corner kicks for the game.
- Moore fired in a shot in front of the net at 20:26 following a quick pass from sophomore forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie), who collected the rebound of a blocked shot.
For the Seahawks (7-4-0, 3-0-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Moore (1 goal); Balogun (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Haussler (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's notched 14 shots (five on goal) and earned four corner kicks.
For Salisbury (5-7-0, 1-2-0 CAC)
- Scorer: None
- Goalkeeper: Trevor Brookhart (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Sea Gulls finished with 12 shots (three on goal) and two corner kicks.
- This is St. Mary's second straight win over the Sea Gulls and just eighth overall as Salisbury holds a 29-8-3 mark in the series history.
Up next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 7 at Marymount (Va.) University (2-9, 0-2 CAC) – Arlington, Va. – CAC match – 1:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's owns a 24-10-1 record over the Saints, including a 3-1 mark in the last four meetings.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks