For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team battled Saturday afternoon but saw their two-match win streak come to an end with a 2-0 loss to Oglethorpe University in the opening round of the Ninth Annual Seahawk Classic.
St. Mary's (Md.) 0, Oglethorpe 2
How It Happened
- St. Mary's and Oglethorpe played to a scoreless halftime score.
- The Stormy Petrels scored in the opening minute of the second half as Devon Patterson converted a pass from Ryan Marcano into a fast-break goal.
- Marcano tallied a goal himself in the 86th minute to give Oglethorpe a two-goal cushion.
For the Seahawks (2-2-0)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's finished the game with 11 shots (three on goal), which was only one less than Oglethorpe.
For Oglethorpe (3-0-0)
- Scorers: Marcano (1 goal, 1 assist); Patterson (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Luke Whelan (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Petrels finished with a total of 12 shots and earned three corner kicks on the day.
- Seventh-year head Alun Oliver '04 remains in a tie for second all-time with 49 coaching victories. Coach Oliver equaled his former coach and mentor, Eric Wagner, on September 5 with a 1-0 win over Washington College. Wagner coached at St. Mary's from 1997 to 2001, finishing with a 49-42 record in five seasons.
- Bridgewater (Va.) College (1-2) posted a 1-0 win over Salisbury University (1-3) in today's other Classic match-up for its first victory of the season.
Up next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 13 vs. Bridgewater (Va.) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks