For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Salisbury, Md. – Senior forward Emmanuel Oppong (Tema, Ghana/Blake [Md.]) put the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team on the scoreboard Friday afternoon in the opening action of the Elmer Lord Memorial Classic at Salisbury University. St. Mary's scored first but dropped a 2-1 non-conference decision to Gettysburg College (1-0).
St. Mary's (Md.) 1, Gettysburg 2
How It Happened
- Oppong netted his first goal of the season at 17:21 with a breakaway score after receiving a pass through the defense from senior forward Alessandro Burlew (Mount Airy, Md./Good Counsel).
- The 1-0 Seahawk lead lasted for about eight minutes before Ezekiel Omosanya finished in front of the net off a pass from Patrick Santini following a corner kick.
- Gettysburg tallied the third and final goal of the game in the second half at 51:22 when Santini picked a through pass at the top of the box and shot it from the right side.
For the Seahawks (0-1)
- Scorers: Oppong (1 goal); Burlew (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Zack Haussler (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's took nine shots (three on goal) and garnered five corner kicks.
For Gettysburg (1-0)
- Scorers: Santini (1 goal, 1 assist); Omosanya (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Thomas Kean (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Bullets fired off eight shots (three on goal) and racked up six corner kicks.
- This was the just fifth-ever meeting between St. Mary's and Gettysburg and the series was deadlocked at 2-2 coming into today's contest.
- Today's loss snaps a two-year streak of season-opening victories.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 2 vs. Capital at the Elmer Lord Memorial Classic hosted by Salisbury University – 1:00 p.m.
- The Seahawks dropped a 3-0 decision to Capital in their first-ever meeting in 2009, also at the Salisbury tournament.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer, #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks