For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Buena Vista, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team put together a five-goal fourth-quarter rally but came up short Saturday afternoon at Southern Virginia University. St. Mary's (4-9, 1-3 CAC) dropped a 13-10 decision to the host Knights (8-5, 2-2 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference play.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's scored the first two goals of the game off the sticks of midfielders Connor Quinn (Lusby, Md./Calverton) and Erich Wuesthoff (Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park) for a 2-0 lead at 7:55. Tennison Schmidt sparked a 3-0 for the Knights seven seconds later as SVU went ahead for the first time in the game.
- Junior midfielder Marshall Rhodes (Potomac, Md./Winston Churchill) evened up the game with 1:23 left in the first quarter before first-year midfielder Jeremiah Clemmer (Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown) found the back of the net at the buzzer to send the Seahawks into the second period with a 4-3 margin.
- Southern Virginia notched the only two goals of the second stanza in a nine-second span in the 11th minute to give the Knights the lead for good, 5-4, at halftime.
- The hosts opened up the third quarter with four straight to up their advantage to 9-4 with 4:24 remaining in the third. Rhodes halted the SVU run three minutes later with his second goal of the day.
- The Seahawks pulled within one at 5:01 of the fourth as Wuesthoff fueled a 3-0 run over a nearly eight-minute span by scoring twice. However, Southern Virginia protected its lead by going on a 3-0 run of its own to extend its advantage to 12-8 at 2:02. St. Mary's responded by tallying two goals in a 14-second span in the second minute to cut the deficit to 12-10 at 1:39.
- St. Mary's won the ensuing face-off but Wuesthoff's shot was saved and the Knights would score an insurance goal with 42 ticks on clock after coming out of a timeout.
- The Seahawks won the face-off again but turned the ball over in their last possession of the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Wuesthoff paced the Seahawk offense with a career-best three goals for his first career hat trick while junior Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) added two assists and team-best three ground balls.
- Junior goalie Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) picked up 11 saves and two ground balls.
- Schmidt finished the game with four goals and three assists while Jace Thomas won 17-of-21 face-offs with 10 ground balls. In goal, Ian Arave made 16 stops for his fourth win of the season.
- Shots: St. Mary's 39, Southern Virginia 40
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 24, Southern Virginia 31
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary's 6, Southern Virginia 19
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary's 0-4, Southern Virginia 0-2
- Saves: St. Mary's 11, Southern Virginia 16
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 5, Southern Virginia 4
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 10, Southern Virginia 15
- Penalties: St. Mary's 2 for 1:30, Southern Virginia 3 for 2:00
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 11 at No. 2 York College of Pennsylvania (11-1, 3-0 CAC) – York, Pa. – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks