For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team played a close battle with No. 15 Christopher Newport University through the first 39 minutes of a Capital Athletic Conference matchup Saturday afternoon. However, a late, unanswered 6-0 run propelled the Christopher Newport Captains (10-1, 3-0 CAC) to a 13-8 win over the host Seahawks (3-8, 0-2 CAC).
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport struck a 2-0 lead at 7:31 with two goals in a five-minute span as Matthew Crist and Dylan Rice both found the back of the net. Redshirt junior captain Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) put the Seahawks on the scoreboard with 20 seconds remaining in the first quarter as Jones finished a pass from junior Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton).
- The Captains scored the first goal of the second period just 53 seconds in to stake a two-goal margin but St. Mary's responded with three in a row, including a pair from sophomore attackman Jack Conway (Salisbury, Md./Salisbury School), to establish its first lead of the game, 4-3, at 6:42. However, CNU would close out the first half on a 2-0 run to head into halftime with a 5-4 advantage.
- The visitors extended their run in the third stanza with two more scores to up their lead to 7-4 at 10:34. The Seahawks had another run in them and rattled off three straight, including two from junior midfielder Marshall Rhodes (Potomac, Md./Winston Churchill), to even up the contest at 6:01.
- St. Mary's would not regain the lead as the Captains put away the game with six unanswered goals to distance themselves from the hosts, 13-7, with 6:12 left to play.
- The Seahawks kept CNU off the board in the final six minutes but could not generate an offensive rhythm, scoring their final goal of the day with 41 ticks on the clock.
Inside the Box Score
- Conway, in his second career start, tallied a career-best two goals for the third time in his career while scooping up a career-high four ground balls.
- Rhodes notched a career-best two goals for the fifth time in his career while LaPlaca dished out a career-high three assists and added two ground balls.
- Junior goalie Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) finished with 12 saves and a ground ball in the loss.
- Matthew Crist registered game-bests of five assists and seven points to lead the Captains while Dylan Rice and Lucas Barry each collected a hat trick. Tony Cruz went 17-of-24 at face-off X with eight ground balls. In goal, Andrew Clark made three stops in nearly 57 minutes for his fourth win of the season.
- Shots: St. Mary's 32, Christopher Newport 37
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 27, Christopher Newport 33
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary's 7, Christopher Newport 18
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary's 0-1, Christopher Newport 0-2
- Saves: St. Mary's 12, Christopher Newport 5
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 3, Christopher Newport 3
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 15, Christopher Newport 15
- Penalties: St. Mary's 3 for 3:00, Christopher Newport 3 for 2:00
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 4 vs. Marymount (Va.) University (2-9, 0-2 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks