For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team squandered a four-goal fourth-quarter lead Wednesday afternoon in succumbing to a 12-10 defeat at the hands of Randolph-Macon College (3-3). Junior Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) paced the Seahawks (2-4) in the loss with career-bests of four goals, two assists, and six points.
How It Happened
- LaPlaca gave the Seahawks a 9-5 advantage with 13:20 remaining in the game following his third tally of the day.
- The St. Mary's defense then unraveled, committing four penalties for a total of three minutes of extra-man opportunities (EMO) for the Yellow Jackets. Randolph-Macon capitalized by scoring on three of the four opportunities. On the last EMO, Miles Muncie's man-up goal evened up the score at 10-10 with 2:33 to go.
- R-MC won the ensuing face-off and Kyle Keepers found Ryan Tiffey for the eventual game-winning goal with 1:49 on the clock. Muncie tallied an insurance goal 39 seconds later off a pass from Colin DiSesa.
- The Yellow Jackets outscored St. Mary's, 7-2, in the fourth quarter and ended the contest on a 4-0 run, scoring four over the final 4:18 of the game.
- The home team owned a 3-2 lead after the first 15 minutes of play as junior attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary), LaPlaca, and sophomore midfielder Erich Wuesthoff (Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park) all found the back of the net.
- St. Mary's headed into halftime with a 5-3 margin following back-to-back goals from LaPlaca and Wuesthoff.
- DiSesa notched the opening goal for the third stanza before the Seahawks rattled off three straight to claim an 8-4 lead at 7:10 as LaPlaca handed out two assists in the 3-0 run. Tiffey made it a three-goal game at 2:26 with his first of the afternoon.
Inside the Box Score
- In addition to his career-best offensive output, LaPlaca also scooped up a team-best four loose balls. Wuesthoff finished with career-bests of two goals and three points while Groen chipped in a season-high two goals.
- At the X, junior midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) went 5-of-19 with three ground balls.
- Senior captain Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) and sophomore defenseman Cristian Quiroa (Simi Valley, Calif./Thousand Oaks) paced the defensive effort with two caused turnovers apiece. In goal, junior Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) put up 12 save and two ground balls.
- DiSesa and Keepers each notched three goals and three assists to lead R-MC to its third straight win while Joe Maranto won 19-of-24 face-offs with a game-best 11 ground balls. Chris Cerrina made six stops in claiming his third win of the season.
- Shots: St. Mary's 23, Randolph-Macon 37
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 20, Randolph-Macon 36
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary's 5, Randolph-Macon 19
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary's 3-5, Randolph-Macon 3-5
- Saves: St. Mary's 12, Randolph-Macon 6
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 6, Randolph-Macon 8
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 16, Randolph-Macon 15
- Penalties: St. Mary's 6 for 5:00, Randolph-Macon 7 for 5:30
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 10 vs. Marywood University (3-2) – Seahawk Stadium – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks