For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Sparks, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team suffered their first loss of the 2018 season on Saturday afternoon, falling 15-9 to No. 14 Dickinson College in non-conference action after giving up five unanswered goals in the first quarter. The game was played on Tierney Field at the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame.
- Score: St. Mary's 9, No. 14 Dickinson 15
- Records: St. Mary's (1-1), Dickinson (1-0)
- Location: Sparks, Md. – Tierney Field at US Lacrosse Hall of Fame
- Shots: St. Mary's 22, Dickinson 60
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 20, Dickinson 28
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary's 13, Dickinson 14
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary's 4-9, Dickinson 2-4
- Saves: St. Mary's 15, Dickinson 3
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 7, Dickinson 7
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 28, Dickinson 13
- Penalties: St. Mary's 4 for 2:30, Dickinson 8 for 5:30
How It Happened
- Dickinson controlled possession in the first quarter, winning 5-of-6 face-offs and taking 16 shots to the Seahawks' two. The Red Devils rattled off five unanswered goals as Mitchell Andres led the way with a goal and two assists in the 5-0 run.
- St. Mary's scored three straight in the final 4:15 of the second period to cut the Red Devils' lead in half, 8-4, at halftime. Four different Seahawks found the back of the net while junior attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary) dished out two assists.
- Dickinson opened up the third stanza by netting three of the period's four goals to boast an 11-5 advantage at 9:10 as Dylan Maher notched two in the 3-1 run. The Seahawks tallied back-to-back man-up goals to pull within four once again at 2:22 but St. Mary's would get no closer as they turned the ball over 10 times in the quarter.
- The Red Devils edged St. Mary's, 3-2, in the fourth to pick up their first win of 2018.
Inside the Box Score
- Groen paced the Seahawks in the loss with a season-best five points on a career-high two man-up goals and a season-best three assists while junior captain Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) matched his season-high with three points on a goal and a career-best two helpers.
- First-year midfielder Luke McWright (Baldwin, Md./Loyola Blakefield) continued his strong play at the X by winning 13-of-27 face-offs while adding four ground balls.
- Senior captain Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) scooped up a game- and season-best five ground balls and caused a team-best two caused turnovers while junior goalkeeper Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) made a career-best 15 stops, including six in the fourth.
- Tyler Strods tallied a game-best six points on two goals and a game-high four assists to lead Dickinson while Maher finished with a game-best four goals and five points. Andrew Jones turned away only three shots in posting his first win of the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 24 at Elizabethtown College (1-0) – Elizabethtown, Pa. – Wolf Field – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks