For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Senior captain Brendan Steele (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) notched his third career hat trick Saturday afternoon as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team hosted Capital Athletic Conference foe, Frostburg State University, on Senior Day. The Seahawks, however, dropped a heartbreaking 9-8 decision to Frostburg State as their fourth quarter rally fell short.
Before the game started, St. Mary's recognized its eight seniors for their years of dedication and leadership: Steele, Mike Becraft (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel), Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall), John Lockwood (Towson, Md./Towson), Luke Eshleman (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), Javier Flores (Hyde Park, Mass./Concord-Carlisle), Jack Elliott (Lafayette, Calif./De La Salle), and Colin Tiffey (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake).
St. Mary's 8, Frostburg State 9
How It Happened
- The Seahawks headed into the fourth quarter down 9-5 after first-year attackman Jimmy Lucas (Eldersburg, Md./Mt. St. Joseph's) found the back of the net with six seconds left in the third.
- Alderman and the St. Mary's defense held Frostburg to seven shots and three turnovers in the fourth while Alderman made four saves to keep the Bobcats off the scoreboard.
- Sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) came alive for the Seahawks in the final 3:42 of the game, ripping a pair of goals past first-year goalkeeper Jack Marks (York, Pa./Dallastown) to help the hosts pull within one with 29 seconds remaining. Steele picked up his third man-up goal of the day in between LaPlaca's goal at 2:53.
- St. Mary's won the ensuing face-off but sophomore attackman Max Groen's (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) shot with nine ticks on the clock went wide. The scramble for the loose ball ran the clock out.
- The Seahawks struck first but FSU claimed a 2-1 lead after one. The Bobcats outscored St. Mary's, 4-2, in the second for a 6-3 halftime advantage.
For St. Mary's (1-14, 1-7 CAC)
- All three of Steele's goals were man-up goals as the Seahawks finished the game 3-of-4 on man-up opportunities.
- LaPlaca chipped in two goals while Groen contributed two assists and Eshleman tallied a goal and an assist in his final collegiate game.
- St. Mary's went 11-of-20 at face-off X as sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) won 9-of-16 with three ground balls.
- On defense, junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) scooped up four loose balls.
- St. Mary's outshot the Bobcats, 43-42, and killed all three extra-man opportunities.
For Frostburg State (9-6, 5-3 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Adam Gross (3-2), Keegan Colegrove (1-1), Garrett Olds (1-0), Paul Ruppert (1-0), Chase Cullison (1-0), Quinn Western (1-0), Jimmy Lucas (1-0), Jake Bowling (0-1)
- Goalie: Marks (14 saves, 8 GA, 60:00)
- Frostburg edged the Seahawks, 25-23, in ground balls.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season complete.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax