For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredericksburg, Va. – Attackmen Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) and Connor Quinn (Lusby, Md./Calverton) combined for six points to lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team at the University of Mary Washington Wednesday afternoon. The Seahawks' second-half rally fell short in the 11-7 setback to Mary Washington, dropping their third straight Capital Athletic Conference decision.
St. Mary's 7, Mary Washington 11
How It Happened
- Mary Washington jumped out to a 4-0 lead before Quinn put the Seahawks on the board as he finished off a feed from sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) at 2:00. UMW would tack on two more to take a 6-1 lead into the second quarter.
- The Eagles owned a 7-2 advantage at halftime as each side found the back of the net. Sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) notched St. Mary's second goal of the game with 31 seconds left in the first half.
- Mary Washington stretched its lead to seven-goals at 12:08 with two scores in a two-minute span. The Seahawks responded with two tallies of their own, closing the gap to 9-4 heading into the fourth period.
- UMW once again struck first to kick off the final quarter, scoring twice to regain a seven-goal margin for the second time in the game. St. Mary's then answered back with three straight in a seven-minute span but would get no closer.
For St. Mary's (1-11, 1-4 CAC)
- Jones collected his fourth hat trick of the season with three goals while picking up a career-best eight ground balls.
- Quinn contributed season-highs of two assists, three points, and six ground balls while Groen chipped in two goals and a career-best six ground balls.
- St. Mary's won the ground ball battle, 52-48, as junior attackman Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) grabbed a season- and team-high nine loose balls and junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) added seven.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) made 13 saves in the game.
- The Seahawks outshot UMW, 49-37, and completed 20-of-24 clears.
For Mary Washington (6-7, 3-3 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Mike Marson (3-0), Andrew Carlson (2-0), Owen Dingman (2-0), Shane McKenzie (1-1), Conor Healy (1-0), Noah Dewey (1-0), Chris White (1-0), Miles Davis (0-5), Mike Colgan (0-1), Jack Carver (0-1), Chase Kapuscienski (0-1)
- Goalies: Billy Senicola (7 saves, 2 GA, 33:58); Sam Wasson (7 saves, 3 GA, 21:47); Luke Whittie (0 saves, 2 GA, 4:15)
- Mary Washington went 17-of-22 in face-offs as sophomore midfielder Eli Ayer (Glenwood, Md./St. Paul's School) won 14-of-18 at the X with five ground balls.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will remain on the road for its next game, traveling to Arlington, Va., this Saturday, April 8 to take on Marymount (Va.) University (3-10, 0-5 CAC) in another CAC tilt at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #CharlieMike, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax