For Immediate Release · Sunday, March 12, 2017 · email@example.com
Bel Air, Md. – Sophomore attackmen Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) and Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) both put on career performances on a blustery, cold Sunday afternoon but the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team came up short in a run-and-gun game with Illinois Wesleyan University.
The Seahawks dropped a 26-18 decision to IWU on the campus of The John Carroll School for their seventh straight loss while the Titans won their third in a row.
St. Mary's 16, Illinois Wesleyan 28
How It Happened
- In the first quarter, St. Mary's jumped out to a 2-0 lead before the Titans scored three in a row. Groen's first goal of the game knotted the game at 3-3 at 6:30 before IWU outscored the Seahawks, 5-3, for an 8-6 lead after one period of play.
- The Seahawks pulled within one twice in the second stanza on a pair of Groen goals; however, IWU owned a 14-9 halftime advantage after responding with a 5-1 run to close out the half.
- Illinois Wesleyan outdid the Seahawks, 6-2, in the third quarter to establish a 20-11 lead with one period left to play.
- St. Mary's put together two three-goal runs in the fourth and edged the Titans, 7-6, but was unable to finish the rally.
For St. Mary's (0-7)
- Jones set a single-game school record with a career-best eight goals.
- Groen contributed career-highs of five goals, three assists, eight points and two ground balls.
- Sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) also tallied career numbers with career-bests of four goals and five points.
- Junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) picked up a career-high nine loose balls while adding his third career assist.
- Senior captain Mike Becraft (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel) scooped up a season-high seven ground balls and dished a career-best two assists.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) recorded a career-best 20 saves with two ground balls and a caused turnover.
For Illinois Wesleyan (3-1)
- Scorers (G-A): Michael Julius (4-2), Jacob Perry (4-0), Alex Doorenbos (4-0), Tim Smith (3-0), Will Rossi (2-2), Evan Mok-Lamme (2-1), James Maibuecher (1-5), Nick Winter (1-3), Caleb Green (1-1), J.C. Grabarek (1-0), Pat O'Neil (1-0), Joe Hynes (1-0), Bailey Marth (1-0), Colin Daly (0-2), Christian Torres (0-1), Pete Picciolo (0-1)
- Goalie: Steven Laduzinsky (8 saves, 18 GA, 60:00)
- Illinois Wesleyan controlled all offensive categories, outshooting the Seahawks, 66-49; posting a 69-40 margin in ground balls; and winning 34-of-47 face-offs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's remains on the hunt for its first win of the season and will look to take down Lycoming College (2-2) on Wednesday, March 15 at 2:00 p.m. in Seahawk Stadium.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax