For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Ashland, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team dropped their second game decided by two goals or less, falling 8-6 on the road to the Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets Wednesday night.
St. Mary's 6, Randolph-Macon 8
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon scored the lone goal of the first quarter at 10:44 to claim a 1-0 lead after 15 minutes of play.
- The Seahawks outscored R-MC, 3-1, in the second period to stake their first advantage of the game, leading 3-2 at halftime. Junior attackmen Connor Quinn (Lusby, Md./Calverton) and Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) and sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) all found the back of the net for St. Mary's.
- In the third stanza, the Yellow Jackets unleashed four unanswered goals to grab a three-goal cushion as action headed into the final quarter.
- R-MC notched a four-goal lead just 29 seconds into the start of the fourth period but then St. Mary's responded with three straight to pull within 7-6 at 6:28.
- The Seahawks won the ensuing face-off and generated two shots that were blocked and saved before the Yellow Jackets fired off an initial shot saved by senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall). However, a St. Mary's penalty kept the ball in Randolph-Macon's stick and junior attackman Kyle Keepers (Roswell, Ga./Roswell) put R-MC up by two with 1:45 left in the game.
- St. Mary's once again won the face-off and LaPlaca took a shot at 1:22 which was saved by senior goalie Brian Davies (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass). After a turnover and penalty by the Yellow Jackets, LaPlaca had another scoring opportunity but his shot hit the post with 42 seconds on the clock.
For St. Mary's (0-6)
- Senior captain Brendan Steele (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) led the Seahawks with three points on a goal and a career-best two assists as well as scooping up a career- and team-best three ground balls.
- Sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) contributed a goal and an assist.
- Junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) paced the defense with three caused turnovers and two ground balls while Alderman finished the night with 10 stops.
- The Seahawks outshot Randolph-Macon, 32-30.
For Randolph-Macon (3-3)
- Scorers (G-A): Miles Muncie (3-0), Colin Disesa (2-0), Keepers (1-0), Andrew Hogg (1-0), Alex Camilliere (1-0), Sam Mayer (0-4)
- Goalie: Davies (9 saves, 6 GA, 60:00)
- Randolph-Macon won the ground ball battle, 35-29, and controlled the X by winning 10-of-17 face-offs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Still searching for its first win of the season, St. Mary's will take on Illinois Wesleyan College (2-1) on Sunday, March 12 at 1:00 p.m. The game will be played at The John Carroll School in Bel Air, Maryland.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax