For Immediate Release · Wednesday, February 22, 2017 · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Davids, Pa. – Junior attacker Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) and sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) both had strong performances Wednesday afternoon in a tough loss for the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team. The Seahawks dropped a 15-6 non-conference decision at Eastern University.
St. Mary's 6, Eastern 15
How It Happened
- Eastern jumped out to a 5-0 lead behind two goals each from senior midfielder Bryan Goetz (Glenhead, N.Y./North Shore) and sophomore attackman Mark Buannic (Howell, N.J./Howell). Sophomore midfielder Connor Benhoff (Baltimore, Md./Dulaney) put the Seahawks on the scoreboard with 47 seconds left in the first quarter.
- The Eagles and St. Mary's traded the first two goals in the second period before EU notched the final two scores to stake an 8-2 advantage at halftime.
- Eastern added two more unanswered goals to start the third before the Seahawks tallied three straight in a span of 2:33 minutes, cutting the deficit to 10-5 with 6:56 left in the quarter. EU headed into the fourth with a six-goal lead as Buannic picked up his third of the afternoon.
- EU opened up the fourth with four straight to stretch its lead to 15-5 at 4:27.
- Long completed his first career hat trick as a Seahawk with 40 seconds left in the game as he finished off a pass from sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) for the man-up goal.
For St. Mary's (0-2)
- Long paced St. Mary's with three goals while sophomore midfielder Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) chipped in a goal and an assist.
- Bucci dominated the X by winning 13-of-20 face-offs with a game- and season-best 10 ground balls while sophomore midfielder Tilghman Meiser (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) was a perfect 4-of-4 on face-offs with a career-high six ground balls.
- Senior defenseman Jack Elliott (Lafayette, Calif./La Salle) picked up a career-best three caused turnovers.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) notched his second straight game with 13 stops and added two ground balls.
- St. Mary's won the ground ball battle, 36-30.
For Eastern (1-1)
- Scorers (G-A): Goetz (4-1), Buannic (4-1), Tim Lamb (3-1), Jake Pousson (1-1), Trevor Gallion (1-0), Zach Taylor (1-0), Ethan Joseph (1-0), Sean Fechter (0-1), Grant Smith (0-1), Brian Mizell (0-1)
- Goalies: Jameal Hadeed (19 saves, 5 GA, 54:45); Austin Mutter (3 saves, 1 GA, 4:27); Brett McDonald (0 saves, 0 GA, 0:48)
- Eastern outshot the Seahawks, 45-36.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will head back to Pennsylvania this Saturday, February 25 as the Seahawks take on Marywood University (1-1) in Scranton for non-conference action at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax