For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Lynchburg, Va. – Junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) dropped a career-best 25 points in the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team's season-opening contest on Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (0-1) opened up the 2018-19 campaign with a 77-69 road loss to Randolph College (1-0).
St. Mary's 69, Randolph 77
How It Happened
- It was a tight matchup in the first half, as neither team owned more than a five-point advantage. The Seahawks used an 8-0 run to establish a 14-9 lead at 16:04 as Schultz fueled the run with six points. A Schultz dunk kept St. Mary's ahead 30-26 at 7:53.
- Randolph broke open a 33-33 draw as the Wildcats closed out the half on a 13-3 run to stake a 46-36 halftime advantage. Sammy Hooper drained a pair of triples to contribute in Randolph's push.
- Justin Dula notched six of the Wildcats' first nine points of the second half to widen their lead to 14 at 15:36 for the host's largest lead of the game. St. Mary's worked its way back into the game as the Seahawks outscored Randolph, 26-14, over the next 10 minutes to close the gap to 69-67. After a Brian Smith three-pointer, a Schultz layup at 4:01 maintained the Seahawks within three.
- St. Mary's would get no closer as the Seahawks went cold, missing their final six shots and turning the ball over six times.
Inside the Box Score
- Schultz collected his second career double-double as he hauled in a career- and game-high 12 rebounds to go along with his game-high 25 points on 10-of-16 shooting. He also added two assists and two steals.
- Junior guard Justin Milstead (Fort Washington, Md./IDEA Charter) contributed nine points, five boards, and two assists in his Seahawk debut since transferring in from Potomac State College.
- Hooper led the Wildcats to the season-opening win with 25 points on 9-of-18 shooting, including five three-pointers. He finished with a double-double as he grabbed 10 caroms as well. Smith ended the day with 14 points, four assists, and three steals.
- St. Mary's shot 46.2-percent from the field, including 4-of-12 from downtown, while making 17-of-23 (73.9%) at the free throw line.
- Randolph shot 46.9-percent from the field, including going 11-of-26 from behind the three-point line, while coming up with 11 steals and six blocks on defense.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 11 at Lynchburg (1-0) – Lynchburg, Va. – 12:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks