For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 72, Frostburg State 76
- Records: St. Mary's (3-16, 2-10 CAC), Frostburg State (9-10, 7-5 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
- The Short Story: Sophomore guard Matt Ayoub's (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) 20-point second half not enough to power the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team past Frostburg State University on Saturday. Frostburg State was able to hold off a driven Seahawk squad who rallied late but the Bobcats came away with the series split with a 76-72 win in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's put together an impressive comeback attempt in the second half with a pair of runs. Trailing by 13 with 15:21 left in the game, the Seahawks used a 14-7 push over a five-minute span to pull within 54-48 as Ayoub (5 points) and sophomores Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) and Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) combined for all 14 points.
- The visiting Bobcats would rebuild a double-digit lead as Tyler Michael made a jumper to give Frostburg a 60-48 advantage at 8:33. Ayoub then took over and put St. Mary's on his back, leading them to its first lead of the game. He poured in 15 points in the 19-6 run as Ayoub connected on three three-pointers before Murphy's layup capped the run and put the Seahawks up 67-66 at 2:45.
- FSU's Edwin Cole used an old-fashioned three-point play to return the lead to the visitors at 1:39 and spark a 10-6 run to the finish line.
- The Bobcats owned a 39-29 halftime advantage after closing out the half on an 8-1 run to reach double digits for the first time in the game as Michael led all scorers with 18 points on 8-of-12 shooting.
Inside the Box Score
- Twenty of Ayoub's 26 points came in the second half as he drained 5-of-7 three-point attempts, went 6-of-9 from the field, and was a perfect 3-of-3 at the line over the final 20 minutes. He knocked down career-bests of eight field goals and seven triples while adding four rebounds and three steals.
- Murphy finished with his first career double-double on 11 points and career-high 11 rebounds, giving the Seahawks a 44-40 edge in rebounds for the game.
- Rouse also contributed career numbers as he added 11 points as well with career-bests of seven assists, five field goals, and three steals.
- FSU's Michael led all scorers with a game-best 31 points as he went 14-for-19 from the field. The Bobcats fired above 50-percent for the game as they connected on 32-of-61 (52.5%) shots.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 31 vs. University of Mary Washington (14-5, 8-4 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – CAC game – 8:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks