For Immediate Release · Saturday, January 20, 2018 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 64, Marymount (Va.) 67
- Records: St. Mary's (3-14, 2-8 CAC), Marymount (Va.) (6-11, 5-5 CAC)
- Location: Arlington, Va. – Verizon Sports Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team lost a close fight at Marymount (Va.) University Saturday afternoon, taking a 67-64 setback as the Saints scored the game's final five points in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- Marymount jumped out to the early five-point advantage at 15:30 but hot shooting by the Seahawks allowed them roll to a 28-15 lead at 8:08 as senior guard Ochae Bynum's (Waldorf, Md./North Point) three triples fueled the 24-6 run. Brandon Rogers powered the Saints' response with 11 points over the final six minutes of the half and St. Mary's lead was cut to 40-36 at halftime.
- Rogers led scorers with 13 first-half points while the Seahawks had a trio of players in double-digits with Bynum's 12 points on 4-for-5 shooting leading the way. St. Mary's posted a 60.9-field goal percentage (14-for-23) with six three-pointers and went 6-for-6 at the line.
- The Seahawks rebuilt a 10-point margin following an 8-2 run to start the second half with senior guard Donovan Robinson (Cheverly, Md./North Point) capping the run with an old-fashioned three-point play at 14:48. MU continued to methodically work its way back into the game until grabbing a 59-57 lead at 5:04 on a Dimitri Rucker tip-in. This was the Saints' first lead since the 14:27-mark of the first half.
- Sophomore forward Quentin Twyman (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) knotted the game at 60-all before Bynum knocked down two free throws to regain a St. Mary's advantage. Sophomore guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) maintained the two-point lead with his layup at 3:11.
- Rucker tied the game for the seventh and final time, 64-64, at 1:51 and then the Saints iced the game by going 3-for-4 at the charity stripe over the final 52 seconds. St. Mary's finished the game by missing its last three shots.
Inside the Box Score
- Bynum shared game honors with 17 points as he made a career-best five three-point field goals (5-for-6) while adding a game-best two steals.
- Sophomore wing Jerrel Elder (Schweinfurt, Germany/Meade [Md.]) notched a career-best 13 points as Elder connected on season-highs of five field goals (5-for-8) and three triples (3-for-4).
- Rouse ended the day with career-bests of 12 points, six rebounds, six free throws (6-for-6), and six assists while picking up a game-best two steals.
- Steve Etienne edged out Rogers as Marymount's leading scorer with 17 points while Rogers finished with 16. Rucker contributed 11 points and a game-best nine rebounds as the Saints won the rebounding battle, 32-27.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 24 at Christopher Newport University (13-4, 7-3 CAC) – Newport News, Va. – CAC game – 7:30 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks