For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 74, No. 4 York (Pa.) 88
- Records: St. Mary's (3-13, 2-7 CAC), No. 4 York (Pa.) (16-0, 9-0 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
- The Short Story: Sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) poured in a career-best 22 points off the bench to help the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team battle No. 4 York College of Pennsylvania Wednesday night. St. Mary's stayed neck-in-neck with York in the first half but the Spartans pulled away in the second for the 88-74 Capital Athletic Conference win.
How It Happened
- The first half witnessed the Seahawks challenging York every step of the way, forcing three tied scores and three lead changes.
- St. Mary's got out in front early, jumping out to an 8-0 lead in the first two minutes with four straight buckets. The Spartans missed their first six shots before Jason Bady found the lane at 17:48, igniting a 24-5 run which gave YCP an 11-point advantage at 10:14.
- Ayoub and senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) each knocked down two triples in a 24-13 run to help St. Mary's knot the game at 37-37 with 1:51 left in the half. YCP netted four of the final six points of the half to stake a 41-39 halftime lead.
- Ayoub led all scorers at the break with 15 points on 3-for-4 shooting from downtown while Bady paced the Spartans with eight points and three rebounds. The Seahawks shot 15-for-27 (55.6%) from the field, including 5-for-9 from three-point range, with eight turnovers while York went 15-for-32 (46.9%) with only two three-pointers and four miscues.
- St. Mary's remained on the Spartans' heels early in the second half but could never regain the lead as 13 costly turnovers killed the team's momentum and gave York 20 points.
- YCP broke open a one-point game open with a 34-11 run over a 10-minute span and never looked back. The Seahawks committed eight of their 13 second-half turnovers during the visitors' run, leading to 16 points for the Spartans. St. Mary's did close out the game on a 16-6 run to minimize York's margin of victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Ayoub finished 6-for-12 from the field, including four three-pointers, with a career-high six free throws (6-for-7) to lead the Seahawks with 22 points. He added two helpers as well.
- Bynum contributed 13 points and three dimes while sophomore forward Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) tallied a season-best 12 points on a season-high six field goals (6-for-6), four rebounds, and a career-best two blocks.
- Sophomore forward Quentin Twyman (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) helped the Seahawks stay even with York on the glass, 29-29, as Twyman grabbed a game-best seven boards and chipped in six points.
- The Spartans had five players reach double-digits in scoring, including three starters. Blayde Reich finished the night with a game-high 25 as 18 came in the second half while Bady hauled in a team-best five caroms and notched 11 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 20 at Marymount (Va.) University (5-11, 4-5 CAC) – Arlington, Va. – CAC game – 3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks