For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 67, Wesley 74
- Records: St. Mary's (2-11, 1-5 CAC), Wesley (6-7, 2-4 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team pulled within three twice in the final 1:42 of the game but could not put an end to their skid, falling 74-67 to Wesley College on Saturday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action and stretching the streak to five losses in a row.
How It Happened
- Wesley never trailed in the game and was firmly in the driver's seat, leading by 17 on a Paul Clemons layup at the 8:29-minute mark of the second half, before the Seahawks began to fight back.
- Senior guard Donovan Robinson (Cheverly, Md./North Point) drained a three-pointer and ignited a 16-5 run which closed the 17-point gap to 68-65 with less than two minutes remaining in the game.
- The Wolverines sealed the win when Clemons went 4-for-4 at the free throw line while St. Mary's was 0-for-6 from the field, including 0-for-4 from downtown, during the final minute of play.
- Wesley broke the game open with an 18-3 run over a seven-minute span in the first half to lead by 17 at 9:17 on an Evan Anderson triple.
- Clemons (20 points) and Evan Anderson combined for 32 first-half points in leading Wesley to a 42-25 halftime advantage.
Inside the Box Score
- Bynum tallied 10 points in the second half, including five during the Seahawks' rally attempt, and finished leading the team with 11 while adding a game-best four assists and two rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) saw his first game action since January 4, 2017 and posted 10 points and three boards while fellow classmate Quentin Twyman (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) contributed a career-best nine caroms and nine points.
- The Wolverines out-rebounded the hosts, 42-33, as Clemons finished with a double-double on game-highs of 32 points and 15 rebounds.
- Anderson poured in 24 points for Wesley as he went 8-for-10 from the field, including 3-for-4 from beyond the three-point arc, and 5-for-6 at the line.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 10 at Salisbury University (7-5, 3-2 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – CAC game – 7:30 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks