For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 79, Frostburg State 76
- Records: St. Mary's (2-6, 1-3 CAC), Frostburg State (4-4, 2-2 CAC)
- Location: Frostburg, Md. – Bobcat Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team comes back from 20 points down to pick up their first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season. St. Mary's posted a 79-76 road victory over the host Frostburg State University Bobcats Saturday afternoon as three Seahawks broke the double-digit plateau.
How It Happened
- Sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) bookended a 14-9 start by the Seahawks with a pair of triples for the team's biggest lead of the contest at 14:27.
- Frostburg State took over as Tyler Michael's jumper sparked a 30-7 run to give the Bobcats a 39-21 lead with 3:57 remaining in the half. FSU made four three-pointers in the run and headed into the break with a 49-29 advantage.
- The Bobcats' shooting took a hit in the second half, falling from 60.6-percent to 27.3-percent as St. Mary's applied solid pressure all over the court. In addition, the Seahawks forced 10 FSU miscues to earn 17 points.
- After Frostburg stretched its lead to 21 at 19:37 on a Dalton Gaus triple, St. Mary's went to work and used a 58.1-field goal percentage to claw its way back into the game.
- The Seahawks' comeback was fueled by a 42-19 run over the next 18 minutes to give the team a 73-71 lead at 1:34 – their first since leading 14-13 at the 13:37-mark of the first half – as senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) capped the run with a layup.
- FSU tied the game at 1:11 on a pair of free throws by Edwin Cole and then Lawrence Pettis knocked down a three to pull within one with six ticks on the clock but Ayoub sealed the win with a pair of free throws with four seconds to go.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) led all scorers with 20 points on 6-of-10 shooting plus matching a season-best eight free throws made. Schultz also added a team-best eight rebounds and season-highs of four assists and three steals.
- Ayoub finished with a season-best 19 points, missing his career-high by one point, as he made a career-best seven field goals while notching a career-best four steals.
- Senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) rounded out the Seahawks' trio of double-digit scorers with 15 points while chipping season-bests of seven assists, six rebounds, and three steals.
- Cole paced the Bobcats with a double-double on 19 points and game-best 10 rebounds while Pettis tallied 14 points, a game-best seven helpers and two steals.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 16 vs. Olivet College (2-3) – Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Cruzin' Classic – 4:00 p.m.
- Dec. 17 vs. Husson University (6-1) – Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Cruzin' Classic – 8:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks