For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 66, Marymount 75
- Records: St. Mary's (1-5, 0-2 CAC), Marymount (3-3, 2-0 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Sophomore forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) poured in a game- and season-best 24 points but his efforts fell short as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team lost their fifth straight Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks gave up an 11-point halftime lead in falling 75-66 to Marymount (Va.) University in their Capital Athletic Conference home-opener.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's came out red-hot and boasted a 14-3 lead at 16:50 with a combined 10 points from Schultz (6) and first-year forward Kevin Makle (Finksburg, Md./Randallstown) while the Saints went 1-of-3 from the field with four turnovers.
- The Seahawks stretched their lead to 12 twice at 14:47 and 13:49 before Marymount worked its way back into the game, pulling within five four times with the last time coming at 2:41 behind a pair of free throws by Taiga Walker.
- Schultz scored four of the first half's final six points to give St. Mary's a 39-28 halftime advantage. He led all players at the break with 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting as well as five rebounds.
- The Saints responded well in the second half, opening up with a 13-1 run to claim their first lead of the game, 41-40, at 15:25.
- A three-point play by Makle at 14:50 was the final Seahawk lead of the game as Marymount rolled out to a 62-52 advantage at 5:18 behind an 18-7 run fueled by five points each from Kiran Durant and Walker.
- St. Mary's continued to battle but would get no closer than six at 1:26 as sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) knocked down three free throws and again at 1:00 and 0:34 as senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) went 3-of-4 from the line.
- The Seahawks also committed 11 turnovers over the final 20 minutes which led to 13 points for Marymount.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's outworked the Saints in the paint, 44-32, but was shut down on the perimeter, making only 1-of-11 three-point attempts.
- Schultz shot 10-of-15 from the field and went 4-of-7 at the line to notch his game- and season-best 24 points. He also added eight rebounds and matched his season-best of three steals, which he set at Penn State Altoona.
- Senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) finished with 10 points and two assists while Makle chipped in eight boards and seven points.
- Brandon Rogers paced Marymount in its third win in a row with a career-high 24 points, including post 18 in the second half, while Dimitri Rucker hauled in a game-best 13 caroms.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 6 vs. No. 17 Christopher Newport University (4-2, 1-1 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – CAC game – 6:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks