For Immediate Release · Monday, November 27, 2017 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 57, Towson 90
- Records: St. Mary's (1-3), Towson (6-1)
- Location: Towson, Md. – SECU Arena
- The Short Story: First-year forwards Kevin Makle (Finksburg, Md./Randallstown) and Marquis Bullett (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) paced the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team Monday night against Division I Towson University in an exhibition game in front of a crowd of 878. St. Mary's suffered a 90-57 setback at the hands of the Tigers, who have now won six straight.
What It Means
- St. Mary's falls to 1-5 against non-Division III opponents during head coach Chris Harney's 13-year tenure. The Seahawks' lone win was an 82-75 decision over Division II Bowie State University on November 7, 2008 at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's won the opening tip-off and senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) with the rebound and putback gave the Seahawks their only lead of the game at 19:35.
- The Tigers rattled off 15 straight in four minutes before another Craft bucket put an end to the Towson run.
- The Seahawks continued to plug away and pulled within 30-20 at 6:21 on back-to-back baskets by Makle.
- TU then closed out the half on a 19-8 run, including a 9-0 push under two minutes, to post a 49-28 halftime advantage.
- Towson opened up the second half with a 6-0 run and never let up, stretching its lead to 30+ for the final 10:44 of the contest.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's outplayed the Tigers in the paint, 40-34, as TU relied on the three-ball to get them past the Seahawks, connecting on 12-of-24 from downtown.
- Makle and Bullett each finished the night with a team-best eight points while sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) hauled in a team-high five rebounds to go along with team-bests of three assists and two steals while adding six points.
- All eight of Bullett's points came in 12 minutes of action off the bench in the second half.
- Four Towson players finished in double figures as Zane Martin led all players with 24 points, four assists, and two steals. Alex Thomas grabbed game-bests of six boards and four blocks.
- Towson outrebounded the Seahawks, 35-26, and committed 10 turnovers as St. Mary's picked up six steals.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 29 at Mary Washington (4-1) – Fredericksburg, Va. – Capital Athletic Conference opener – 8:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks