For Immediate Release · Sunday, November 19, 2017 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 95, Lynchburg 106
- Records: St. Mary's (1-2), Lynchburg (2-0)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Ed Cole Court in Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Sophomore forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) was one of four Seahawks to reach double-figures Sunday afternoon, tallying a game and season-best 23 points, as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team took on their second Old Dominion Athletic Conference opponent in three days.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 21 at Penn State Altoona (1-2) – Altoona, Pa. – 6:00 p.m.
How It Happened
- Lynchburg raced out to a 24-16 lead as the Hornets drained 7-of-8 three-pointers in the game's first six minutes.
- LC cooled off a bit and missed its next four three-point attempts, allowing St. Mary's to find its rhythm and tie up the game four times before Spencer sparked a 9-4 run to close out the half and stake a 54-52 Seahawk lead at halftime.
- Spencer tallied seven of his 16 first-half points in the final run of the half while sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) added 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting.
- Senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) and Schultz gave St. Mary's two short-lived leads early in the second half before Connor Schroeder's three-pointer at 15:08 ignited a 10-3 run, which was capped by an Austin Wrighten triple, to give Lynchburg a six-point advantage.
- The Seahawks responded with an 11-7 push to pull within 84-83 at 7:40 on a Schultz layup.
- Five straight points from Schroeder initiated a 7-0 run which put the Hornets up by eight with under four minutes left and LC never looked back again.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's shot 48.4% from the field for the game, including 62.5% in the first half.
- The Seahawks committed 11 turnovers while forcing 15 Lynchburg miscues with eight steals and registering 26 points off those Hornet mistakes.
- Schultz added a team-best seven rebounds and season-high three assists to his 23 points as he went a perfect 8-of-8 from the charity stripe.
- Bynum finished with season-highs of 17 points, three steals and two dimes.
- First-year forward Marquis Bullett (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) posted his first double-digit scoring game of his career with 15 and corralled season-bests of seven boards and two assists.
- Ayoub reached the double-digit scoring plateau for the second straight game with 14 while chipping in three caroms.
- Patterson finished the game with 22 points, eight rebounds and three assists to pace the Hornets while Chance Greene contributed 21 points, four helpers, and two boards.
- Lynchburg ended the day shooting 47.4% (18-of-38) from downtown, including making 11-of-20 in the first half.
- The Hornets edged St. Mary's on the boards, 34-31.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks