For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 77, Southern Virginia 82
- Records: St. Mary's (13-12, 8-10 CAC), Southern Virginia (5-20, 3-15 CAC)
- Location: Buena Vista, Va.
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team squandered a 15-point first half lead in dropping an 82-77 decision at Southern Virginia University Saturday afternoon. First-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) poured in a game-best 22 points to pace the Seahawks in Capital Athletic Conference action.
What It Means
- The loss in the final regular-season contest put St. Mary's into a two-way tie for fifth with Wesley College (10-15, 8-10 CAC). The Seahawks owned the tiebreaker with Wesley because of their win over No. 11 Salisbury University on February 15. Therefore, St. Mary's clinched the No. 5 seed in the 2017 CAC Men's Basketball Championship Tournament, which begins Tuesday, February 21 with first-round action.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will now travel to Arlington, Virginia to face fourth-seeded Marymount (Va.) University (12-13, 9-9 CAC) on Tuesday in first-round action at 8:00 p.m. Marymount ended the regular-season with two straight wins to claim the No. 4 seed. St. Mary's and Marymount split the season series this year as each side won on its home court.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks controlled the tempo in the first half, tallying 11 fast break points and converting 11 SVU turnovers into 13 points.
- Two free throws by first-year guard Alec Johnson (Herriman, Utah/Herriman) gave Southern Virginia its final lead of the first half at 9:24. St. Mary's would go on to outscore the Knights, 23-12, in the final nine minutes of the half and head into halftime with a 44-34 advantage.
- Mouton shot 6-of-8 from the floor to tally 13 of his 22 points in the first 20 minutes while the Seahawks converted 58.1-percent of their shots in staking a 10-point lead at the break.
- St. Mary's maintained a double-digit lead through the first four minutes of the second half before the Knights began to chip away at the deficit. Southern Virginia used a 16-4 run sparked by back-to-back three-pointers from sophomore guard Kellen Winslow (Ventura, Calif./Buena) to erase a 12-point deficit and tie the game, 56-56, at 11:04.
- The game went back-and-forth as neither team could hold more than a three-point spread until Mouton notched seven points in a 9-2 push which returned a five-point advantage to the Seahawks at 2:21.
- Four points from first-year center Tyler McCreadie (North Bend, Wash./Mount Si) and a triple from first-year guard Sam Armstrong (Buena Vista, Va./Parry McCluer) gave Southern Virginia a 76-74 lead with 51 seconds left in the game. However, first-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) came through with his third three-pointer of the day to pull the Seahawks within 78-77 40 seconds later.
- The Knights sealed the win by going 4-of-4 at the free throw line in the final 10 seconds.
Inside the Box Score
- Four Seahawk players scored in double digits, highlighted by Mouton's 22 points as he finished shooting 8-of-11 from the floor and 6-of-8 from the charity stripe. He also added three steals and three rebounds.
- Ayoub finished with 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting, including a perfect 3-of-3 from downtown, while chipping in three steals.
- Junior wing LaVonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) came up with a dozen points, a team-best five boards, and two steals as Sanders shot 5-of-8 from the field.
- Junior forward Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) chipped in 10 points, four caroms, and three steals.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb