Feb 15, 2017
For Immediate Release · Wednesday, February 15, 2017 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 85, No. 11 Salisbury 73
- Records: St. Mary's (13-11, 8-9 CAC), No. 11 Salisbury (19-5, 14-3 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: First-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) poured in a game- and season-best 23 points as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team posted their third straight come-from-behind win Wednesday night. St. Mary's notched an 85-73 victory over No. 11 Salisbury University, snapping SU's five-game win streak.
What It Means
- Following tonight's win, St. Mary's remains in a three-way tie with Marymount (Va.) University (11-13, 8-9 CAC) and Wesley College (10-14, 8-9 CAC) for fourth in the conference standings with one game left to play in the regular season.
How It Happened
- Salisbury rolled to a 31-15 advantage at 9:21 as junior forward Chad Barcikowski (Sykesville, Md./Liberty) knocked down three triples in less than two minutes and finished with 13 points in the run. The Sea Gulls led by 16 for the last time at 6:55 on senior forward Gordon Jeter's (Easton, Md./Easton) basket.
- The Seahawks began to chip away at the deficit and junior forward Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) capped a 14-2 run to end the half with a buzzer-beating layup, sending St. Mary's into the break down only 37-35.
- First-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) and Mouton paced the Seahawks with eight first-half points.
- After SU stretched its lead to six on a dunk by Jeter at 17:06, the game would be tied six times before a 17-7 Seahawk run put out of reach and gave St. Mary's a double-digit lead at 1:13.
Inside the Box Score
- Mouton was a perfect 11-of-11 from the field in route to his game- and season-best 23 points while adding three assists and two rebounds.
- Junior captain Delaszo Smith (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) added 18 points as Smith went 8-for-8 at the free throw line. He also chipped in five boards and two assists.
- Junior wing LaVonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 14 on 5-of-9 shooting from the floor.
- St. Mary's will wrap up the regular season this Saturday, February 18 when the Seahawks head south to Buena Vista, Virginia, to face Southern Virginia University (4-20, 2-15 CAC). Tip-off is 3:00 p.m. The last time around, St. Mary's picked up a 75-59 win over the Knights on January 14.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb