Jan 25, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 86, Wesley 78
- Records: St. Mary's (9-9, 4-7 CAC), Wesley (7-11, 5-6 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team opened up a commanding lead and then stymied Wesley College's rally to hold on for an important 86-78 Capital Athletic Conference victory Wednesday night. Junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) led the charge for the Seahawks with a season-best 19 points.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's came out of the gates fast and furious, jumping out to a 13-1 lead four minutes in and maintaining a double-digit lead for all but 5:15 minutes of the first half.
- Sanders notched eight points to pace the Seahawks at halftime as he went 4-of-4 at the free throw line while first-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) chipped in five points and five rebounds.
- St. Mary's led by as many as 17 in the second half, including at 13:57 when Ayoub knocked down a three-pointer off an assist from junior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake).
- From there, the Wolverines fired up a 29-19 run ignited by a 3-ball from junior guard JW Lawson (Newark, Del./Concord) to cut the deficit down to 69-62 with 5:22 left in the game.
- Back-to-back three-pointers from Ayoub and junior captain Delaszo Smith (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) rebuilt a double-digit advantage as the Seahawks led by 12 at 3:18.
- The Wolverines weren't done yet as Wesley used a 9-2 push to pull within five with 1:16 on the clock but Smith sealed the win by going 6-of-6 at the line over the final 39 seconds.
Inside the Box Score
- This Sanders' 10th double-figure scoring performance while also adding five rebounds and a season-best three blocks.
- First-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) came off the bench to contribute 15 points on 6-of-9 shooting plus a season-high three steals.
- Ayoub was 3-of-3 from downtown and finished the contest with 14 points while chipping in season-bests of seven rebounds and three steals.
- Smith put up a dozen points as he went 7-of-8 from the charity stripe and tallied season-bests of five assists and four steals.
- St. Mary's next CAC matchup will be at home once again as the Seahawks host Marymount (Va.) University (9-9, 6-5 CAC) on Saturday, January 28 at 4:00 p.m. In their previous meeting this season, St. Mary's dropped a 10-point decision in Arlington on December 3.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb