Jan 08, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 63, Wesley 74
- Records: St. Mary's (7-6, 2-4 CAC), Wesley (6-7, 4-2 CAC)
- Location: Dover, Del. · Wentworth Gymnasium
- The Short Story: Guards Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) and Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) each tally 14 points as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team falls at Wesley College in Capital Athletic Conference action. In dropping a 74-63 decision Sunday afternoon, St. Mary's has now lost three straight for its longest skid of the season.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks came out of the gates firing and, behind six points apiece from Ayoub and first-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point), staked a 14-2 advantage at the 15:57-minute mark.
- After Wesley cut the deficit to four over three minutes later, the Seahawks rebuilt a 10-point lead as Bynum scored back-to-back baskets. The Wolverines, however, would outscore St. Mary's, 24-12, over the final 9:36 minutes of the half to take a 38-36 lead into halftime.
- Ayoub notched all 14 of his points in the first half to lead all scorers as he was 4-of-8 from downtown, including a triple with 28 seconds left to make it a two-point game. Mouton also tallied double-digit points with 10 while five Seahawks, including Mouton, grabbed three rebounds each.
- Two baskets each from juniors Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) and Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) helped the Seahawks get back on top by two at the 14:50-minute mark of the second half. That would be St. Mary's last lead as Wesley used a 16-5 run to establish a nine-point advantage with 7:54 left in the game.
- A Bynum three-pointer a minute later cut the deficit to five but the Seahawks would get no closer.
Inside the Box Score
- Bynum collected his 14 points on 5-of-9 shooting as he came off the bench, contributing three rebounds as well.
- Mouton finished the day with 10 points, four boards, two assists, and two steals while Sanders paced St. Mary's on the glass with nine caroms and chipped in seven points and two steals.
- St. Mary's will look to halt its skid on Wednesday, January 11 when the Seahawks travel to Newport News, Virginia to take on No. 6 Christopher Newport University (11-2, 5-1 CAC) in the nightcap of the conference twin bill. Tip-off is 7:30 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb