Dec 29, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 92, William Paterson 70
- Records: St. Mary's (7-3), William Paterson (4-7)
- Location: Lexington, Va. · Warner Center at Washington and Lee University
- The Short Story: Four Seahawks scored in double figures as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team flies past William Paterson University, 92-70, at the Washington and Lee University Holiday Tournament. In scoring 90-plus points for the third time this season, St. Mary's earned a spot in Friday's championship game.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks jumped out to a 9-0 advantage and never looked back, owning a double-digit lead for all but six minutes of the contest.
- St. Mary's carried a 43-31 lead into halftime behind a tip-in by junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) and a steal and jumper from first-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) in the last two seconds of the half.
- First-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) paced all scorers at intermission with 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting, including a pair of three-pointers, while Sanders and first-year forward Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) gave the Seahawks a 20-17 rebounding margin with five boards apiece.
- Coming off the bench, Mouton picked up 10 of his game-high 17 points over the final 20 minutes on 3-of-5 shooting and 3-of-4 at the free throw line.
- The Seahawks staked their largest lead of 25 points twice thanks to a pair of baskets from junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point).
Inside the Box Score
- As a team, St. Mary's connected on season-bests of 36 field goals and 10 three-pointers. The Seahawks also shot a season-high 53.1-percent in the first half and posted a 38-32 edge on the glass for the game.
- Mouton and junior captain Delaszo Smith (Baltimore, Md./Annapolis) each notched a game-best 17 points while Ayoub finished the night with 13.
- Sanders nearly picked up his third double-double of the season with 10 points and nine rebounds while Bynum chipped in a game-high seven assists and six points.
- St. Mary's will take on Washington and Lee (3-7) in Friday's championship game at 4:00 p.m. Washington and Lee advanced to the championship game of its own tournament with an 85-76 win over Eastern University (5-5).
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb